First Attempt with RR-Track Software - O

gfmucci

Here is my first attempt with RR-Track software. There are several additional things I want to do with this:
  • Refine a couple of connecting points
  • Add a grade elevation through the mountain in the upper right corner and over the crossing track
  • Add some track control, e.g. uncouplers and terminals
  • Locate animations, roads, and buildings.
  • But this is a basic configuration I'd like to start from. I might consider the RR station along the long wall on the shelf - widen it a bit.
This attempt uses Gargraves track. I tried a similar layout using Lionel Fastrack and I could not achieve the same thing in this space - my options were more limited and constrained. Gargraves appears to allow a bit more flexibility than Lionel Fastrack.
All suggestions are welcomed. Jerry

View attachment 34023

Attachments

• RecRoomGargraves600x250-1.jpg
    RecRoomGargraves600x250-1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 127

Russ Bellinis

It looks pretty good to me. I model ho dc, so I cant tell you how to wire for 3 rail ac power. The only other question I would have is doesn't Lionel offer fast track in the same radii as Gargraves?

gfmucci

As I understand things, being a total novice, Gargraves smallest radius curved track is O32 while Lionel is O36. The 32 really allows some helpful flexibility in areas less than 3 1/2 feet or so. I'm not sure yet what the operational "realism" difference is between a 32 radius vs. a 36 radius. If the 32 looks too hokey or artificial, then I would prefer designing to not less than 36 except in the yards.

cnwdon

• Refine a couple of connecting points: Use the View and zoom in 2x or 4x successively as needed to get a blowup of the small area you want to improve. Then play with different custom curve radii and/or degrees of arc, switch types (Ross, Gargraves, etc), custom cut straights, etc. to find what works and "auto-joins" successfully. To orient a track section as you want it exactly (the angle at which it sits, I mean) try auto-joining it to either a temporary straight you create, which will be perfectly horizontal, or joining to another section in the plan known to be at the correct angle. Then you can move it away, and delete any temp. section you created, and put the item where you want it. If you can't get a perfect auto-join for your adjustment effort, two options: change the "join error" tolerance in the RR-Track options menus to allow more than the 0 or 0.1 inch norm, or just do very careful alignment in the zoomed in, blowup view till you are confident it will work when laying the track. I've used the latter with good success.
  • Add a grade elevation through the mountain in the upper right corner and over the crossing track: Change (set) the height of "destination" sections of track. Unselect those and then select the sections you want to be on the grade. No switches or other special track on the grade, only straights and curves, or it won't "take." Then go to the Grades menu and select Create Grade. See what happens. Be sure the Option for showing Grade symbols is checked, so you can see the little arrows in each section pointing "upgrade." To check your grade anytime later, select all of its track sections, then go to Grades and hit Create Grade and it will re-do the process and show you your existing grade without changing it.
  • Add some track control, e.g. uncouplers and terminals: Try the Accessories lists by manufacturer (not sure about this) or use custom cut short straights and some symbol you create from the Basic Shapes menu next to those track sections to indicate each type you want (a triangle for uncoupler, hexagon for something else, etc.)
  • Locate animations, roads, and buildings: Use Accessories menus for what they can offer (there's a lot), the simple building from the appropriate menu, roads from the Scenery menu (note roads need three or more clicks to set the centerline, and the last must be a double click, then the chosen road type will "appear." It's a bit similar to the Polygon creation process, just not a closed loop like Polygon.
  • But this is a basic configuration I'd like to start from. I might consider the RR station along the long wall on the shelf - widen it a bit.