First attempt at weathering

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Dakota train, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Dakota train

Dakota train Member

This is my first attempt at weathering after seeing the tutorial from deano. It is a quick and easy way of weathering.hamr I'm going to have my two year old son do the next one with me. He's such a train nut already.train97 Trucklover, I see you started a thread using the same technique, you got awesome results with it. Specially love the coal cars. I don't intend on taking away from your thread, just wanted to show my work.:wave:

Attached Files:

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Looks good for a first try.
    Can't wait to see more.
  3. Pat McGroyn

Pat McGroyn New Member

Give it some dull coat to seal and de brighten anything weathering has missed.

Great way to add bargian priced rolling stock to you lay out.
  4. Dakota train

Dakota train Member

Good eye. This piece was not dullcoated at the time of photo shoot, but is now. This car is rolling stock from my two year olds collection. Figured I'd practice on his before mine. I hope he doesn't care that I did this.sign1
  5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Nice job!:thumb: :thumb:

That changed a toy into a nice piece of rolling stock!
  6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Very nice job! Seeing all this weathering is making me seriously think about weathering more of mine.
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Dakota train:wave:, WOW!, looks GREAT for your first time!:thumb: :D and just think, every car you do, it gets even EASIER, and BETTER then the last!;) :D i have added 1 more small installment to the weathering post, it can be found on p28 called "Alternate weathering". you may/may not want to check it out;) . Dakota train, i am HONORED, that you have tried my "EASY" method:D , YOU are doing GREAT!:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano
  8. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Looks like you got the hang of it too!!!

Great Job:thumb: :thumb:
  9. Dakota train

Dakota train Member

My boy wasn't to happy that I weathered his car. He wanted to get even with me, when I asked him if he wanted to paint another one of his cars. He said no!! :mad:He wanted to paint my white soo line covered hopper. It took some convincing to paint his Sante Fe caboose. But I got him to give. So we started on it. He had fun getting to paint his own car.

Attached Files:

10. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

sign1 Dakota train, NICE PIC!:thumb: enjoy the times you have with your son now:thumb: . my son is a teenager, and those precious times like you are having now, have falling short, now his friends and video games are more important:( . happy weathering!:thumb: :D -Deano
  11. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Splendid job on that ACY boxcar! From toy to prototype in a matter on minutes! And might I say that that does look good. :thumb: perhaps a bit 'o rust too, on the trucks and streaks off the handrails?