Firefox and spell checking

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
For those of us that use Firefox, we know that we can't use the IE spell checker that Peter added to the composition window. To be sure, we don't even see the icon.:cry: But, I did find a workaround that works...:wave: :wave:

You can go to the Firefox site, download and install the IE extension. What happens is that if you want to open a page in IE while using Firefox, you can right-click on the link (like "reply to thread", "new thread" or even "quote"), and you get your normal right-click menu that now includes, "open link in new IE tab". Select that and you may need to log on again, but you have now opened IE for that window only.

If you haven't downloaded and installed the "IE spell checker", you will be asked to do so. From then on, it will open along with the IE tab when you go to any composition window.

We get the best of both worlds that way. :D :D

I've done it twice this morning and it works just fine.:thumb::thumb:

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Interesting. For clarification, i.e. will open in a tab within the Firefox window, or a new i.e. window altogether?

I'm having a version control issue with Firefox - not with the app, but with my implementation of it. I have three PC's with Firefox and I have a different set of extensions / settings on each (and now that I think about it, two different versions as well)! :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Fluesheet said:
Interesting. For clarification, i.e. will open in a tab within the Firefox window, or a new i.e. window altogether?

I'm having a version control issue with Firefox - not with the app, but with my implementation of it. I have three PC's with Firefox and I have a different set of extensions / settings on each (and now that I think about it, two different versions as well)! :)
For clarification, if you have installed the IE extension, you can open it only in a new tab, which is a full window. Neat because you can tab between IE and Firefox windows. I install the IE tab extension a few weeks ago, but this is the first time I really used it. The extension is adverstised as one you can used if a page requires IE and you don't want to close Firefox and open IE.

I would update to the latest version of Firefox and Thunderbird if you're using that too. It's just the secure thing to do and I'm not sure if some of these extensions work with older versions anyway.

The only thing is that you have to remember that if you are composing, to open the IE tab. Like right now, I forgot so if there are any typos, hey, it's still early yet and I've only had two cups of coffee..:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Does it either way - when you right click a page you have a list that appears (Cpoy, Paste etc..) 2 of the choices will be "Open in IE Window" and View in IE tab :) Really neat !!!
I only have the "open this link in a new IE tab" option.

Obviously, you haven't use the IE spell checker yet, at least on this post.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
it seems pretty cool, but i'm not going to risk it, i have IE7 Beta installed and dont want to risk messing it up :D