Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by modano1, Oct 10, 2005.

1. modano1

modano1 Member

I am just now finishing a my first model of the Williams FW26 F1 car. I have done a few models out of wood (ships), but I must say that this model was the funnest I have done yet. I am totally hooked on card moldeling now. Now that my model is finished (construction wise), how do I finish it to make it shine and look like metal and not paper?

Joseph D. Hodge
  2. nx13688

nx13688 Member

There are a few different methods:

1. Print the parts on glossy photo paper or use a laser printer. Here's one of my cars, laser-printed:
    2. Coat the paper with wood hardener, clear coat, or a combination thereof. See
    An example using this finish:
    3. Future floor wax. I've not used this myself, so I can't give instructions, but I've heard it works well.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Joseph,

Testors makes a product called "gloss cote" it is an aerosol spray and will add shine to your model. HOWEVER.......Should you use it, be very careful with it and apply only a "misting" over the model, do not saturate the paper or apply enough to make the colors run. As always with aerosol sprays, apply several very light coats instead of one or more heavy coats. While spraying, keep the can 8" to 12" from the work being sprayed. Use it in a well ventilated area due to its strong odor and allow each coat to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat.
    Testors also makes a "dull cote" which takes the shine or "gloss" off of models and is great for military type models. Both claim suitibility for paper but as always shake well and test on an unseen part before using. Below are some details:

<LI>Manufacturer: Testors
    <LI>Stock #: TES1261
    <LI>Scale: 3 oz Aerosol
    Approx cost $3.00 U.S.
    This is flammable and toxic.
    Can be used for
    models, ceramic, plastics, leather, stone, metal, styrofoam,
    crafts, wax, glass, paper, figures, fabric, wood and touching
    up purposes.
    Not suitable for polyethylene or vinyl.
    Contains no lead or harmful CFC'S.
    Easy-to-hold can.