Finishing models?

raven1999

I am new here and was wondering about various ways to finish or harden my finished models. I recently finished the Mass Effect 2 characters, modin, grunt, etc. and I really like how they came out but would really like to find a nice way to finish and harden them to make them durable.

Some friends suggested a binary material like smooth-on clear acrylic but am worried it would destroy the printed textures. Has anyone suggestions on this?

mcusanelli

I spray several coats of Krylon triple-thick clear gloss over my finished models. It puts a nice hard finish on them, and seems to be preserving them quite well, too. I spray this stuff on the printed out parts before assembly too, it never lets me down! Try it on a scrap piece before you use it on a good model to see if you like it first, though.
Mike

mcusanelli

This is different from Krylon Krystal clear....I used that on one model, and the smell was horrifying - wound up throwing the whole thing out, the smell wouldn't go away! Steer clear of this product. Oh, and Testors semi-gloss and Glosscoat work good too.

mcusanelli

One more thing.....Don't use Smooth-on resins on this stuff unless you try it on a scrap first......I'm not sure, but I think they will make the models color run, or wreck them completely. Good luck and tell us what happens!

raven1999

Thanks for the information. Will looking into it and maybe try in on some scrap models to see how it goes. hope to get some pictures up of my attempts.

Z

Zathros

You might want to try spraying a model on the inside, if you want to stiffen it. Also, there my be a difference between dye ink (water soluble), and pigment ink (not water soluble), take that into consideration when trying out a sealer,

You can try all of this on a printed sheet, it doesn't have to be a model. :)