Finished my first model

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
I am sure that everyone will recocnize this one. It is of coarse Digital Navy's Admirable. This is my first card model and base. I want to say thanks to Larrymax for turning me on to this part of the hobby. I am having a blast!!!. Also thanks to the great ideas on making water that I found on this forum. I have never done anything like that before and I am happy with the results.
Larrymax is on one of the sailing ship model lists that I am also on, and he mentioned paper ships and the Digital Navy site. I guess you could say I am hooked now. This has been a refreshing break from the Rattlesnake that I am kitbashing with the help of Bob Hunt's practicum.

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
Hey, that's excellent! The water looks great, what did you use? I'm looking forward to seeing your next model.

Peter B

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
I used a method for the water that is listed on Steelnavy.com. The main wave structure is Sculpy. Then artist acrylic medium to fill in between the waves. Color is Acrylics. Lots of drybrushing. I was really happy with the results, and it was not too hard or time consuming. Gloss finish is Future Floor polish.
The next ship is the HMVS Cerberus from paper shipwright. I am working my way up the a capital ship like Fuso!!

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
That is simply amazing for a first build, Mike! And it's even more impressive to think that that is your first go at modeling water. :shock: My hat's off to you for turning out such a professional build. Now, if only I could get results like that... :lol:

I look forward to seeing that Fuso when you work your way up to it! :D

AJ

jleslie48

Feb 7, 2004
Aimont, NY
you know I once took a ranked tennis player golfing for the first time, he shot a 4 over par. I nearly gave up on the game on the spot.

You humble me as well doing that professional a job for a first build.

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Hey Mike! Welcome Aboard! Thanks for the kind words! I'm so happy you decided to give Paper a try! It's a pretty awesome (and forgiving) medium!

Your ship is AWESOME! LOVE the water! You need to do a little illustrated tutorial for all us knuckleheads over here! I'm still looking forward to starting my Constitution Practicum...but I've promised to finish Cleo FIRST! She's getting there....almost ready to start rigging her.

Keep up the good work...and remember...we're a very "Reading Challenged" bunch over here....we need LOTS OF PRETTY PICTURES!!! :)

Welcome "Captain"!

Larrymax (Just plain ol' Max to my friends!)
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic