Finished model Fiddler's Green GeeBee R-1

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by BARX2, Dec 23, 2006.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I humbly submit my first model (that didn't end up in the trash). Despite the nameplate that says GeeBee "Z" it's really the R-1. The R-1 nameplate also wound up in the trash. :grin: I'll build the "Z" next. This was a surprisingly easy build for me, despite being a complete amateur. I'm new at every aspect of card modeling - cutting, forming, gluing, etc. - yet it went together very well. I was impressed at how well the parts fit together. I've built plastic models that didn't fit together as well as this paper model! OK, here are a couple of pictures. They don't do the color justice. I think the red got washed out by the flash.

Attached Files:

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

The rigging is made of .015 inch music wire. It's very rigid and easy to work with.

Attached Files:

3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Looks good.
    Card modeling is kinda habit forming. I have so many printed models, uprinted models, partly constructed models, pre-printed model kits, etc., etc.... sitting around that it makes me wonder what I have gotten myself into :lol: . Each finished model gets all kinds of oohs and aahs, even with my not so neat contruction. "That's paper?!" is a frequent comment.:)
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

When I do the "Z" I'm not going to cut the little slits in the engine cowl. I found another way of curving the card stock without cutting it.
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks for the good words. Yes, it really is amazing that a paper model can come out looking so solid and 3-dimensional!
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

nice build barx! Thanks for sharing the pics with us :)
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Very nice, clean looking build, Barx! I gotta try this one myself.

I do alot of photos of my builds and models- I NEVER use the flash for exactly that reason. Try just using ambient lighting; your pictures will look much better!
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

When I first started making paper models I figured one benefit would be if my son or his friends played with them it would be O.K., after all, they're just paper. Right.Sure. Now I'm saying things like, "For Chrissake, be gentle with it, it's only paper!!!" Nice build by the way.
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I know what you mean. I feel like not letting people handle it, but I'm sure my kids, who are grown, will want to take a closer look and pick it up. They will have to wash their hands first, though. :wink: I was worried that the rigging would be the most fragile part, but it has turned out to be very rugged and even strengthens the whole model.
  10. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Mighty fine first build. Keep 'em coming!
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

First build? No way, it looks too good! Keep 'em coming!

12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The GeeBees really are nice builds and your's looks great. The R-1 was one of my first builds back in my early days of card modeling (2001).

Looking forward to the Z.
  13. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

This brought a smile to my face.

I am not careful with my models after they are built. I remember my first FG GeeBee... I weighted the nose and I found that it was a surprisingly good flyer. It took a very fast throw and it would zoom to the far corner of the room. Egg shaped as it is, it was surprisingly durable. I always threw it at soft targets :)

It still looked great when I gave it to my coworker. He still has it on his desk and it is about six years old!

-Jim G