:shock: :shock: :shock:

Unbelievable! More will come later when I can think and type straight. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

john

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Dear friends,

Everybody, who is waiting for the next building report of the Willys Jeep, I have to disappoint. Normally I build on the weekend and on Monday I'm posting a new report, but this weekend it was impossible, because there was very much activity in Austria. The half of the country was on the way.

On one side there was the 'Airpower 05' in Styria, Zeltweg, an airshow of superlative (the biggest in Europe), visiting by 250.000 people. Good pictures are at:
http://www.bmlv.gv.at/archiv/a2005/airpower/galerie_uebersicht.php
My favorites are the pictures of the Me109.

On other side there was the 22nd 'Isle of Danube Festival'. This is the greatest Open Air Festival in Europe and certainly one of the biggest (and first of all most peaceful) in the world. Some facts:

22 stages
6,5 km festival arrea
More than 2.000 artists and interpreters
3 million visitors in 3 days

Friday and Saturday was very fine tropical super-weather.
Sunnday was a little raining, but not very bothered.
I've forgot to say that the entry is free! 8)

Everybody, who is in the near of Vienna at end of June, should look at this festival, which is very peaceful. There were only 800 assignments of the aid-men, mostly for reason of problems with circulation. Hardly any police assignments.

Next week I will continue my building report.

Nice greetings
Josef

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Josef,

It's the beginning of the dreaded Uhrlaub season and you're showing signs of catching a bad case. Please hurry and finish the build before you succumb to this dreaded of all European afflictions...,

Best regards, Gil

Bernie

Feb 5, 2001
USA.
Josef, in that case I will again start my "effemmvier" 103,8FM/no need to use live-stream - I am sitting about 120km from Vienna/ listening period during the summer season - to listen to great records taken on many music-fests in Austria

ps do not be affraid baby - it is only effemmvier :D

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_53

After some fun at the last weekend it's time to go on with new energy and power.
The axles are fasten with some clamp of wire to the flat springs. This clamps were tighten with screws on the lower side of the original. I was looking for a methode to realize that nuts made of papercard. First I make a hole with a diameter of 0,6 mm in the papercard. The burr of the hole was flatten with a rub off spoon of letraset.

mutternstanzen016st.jpg

Report_54

To get the hole in the middle of the nut, I made a little tool. Some round material with a diameter, which goes exactly into the nut of the punch tool becomes a little piece of wire exactly in the middel. So I can adjust the cardboard befor punching the nut with the tool.

mutternstanzen026dm.jpg

Report_55

The same technique is useable with plastic sheets. Papercard is loosing the connection between the layers, if you punch too little parts out of it.

mutternstanzen032mv.jpg

Report_56

After coloring it looks a little terrible, but it is only the extremly macro, which shows it worser than in reality.

achsbefestigung010qr.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_57

This 12 paper rolls will become the damper. It looks bad in the moment, because I grind the edges.

stossdaempfer012wy.jpg

Report_58

After coloring, making a slideway of aluminium folie and refine it with some nuts, it looks much better.

stossdaempfer022jb.jpg

Report_59

All dampers are mounted by glueing to the flat springs and the chassis, so the resilience was gone.

stossdaempfer031ni.jpg

Report_60

Next step was mounting the steering linkage and the drum brakes. The drum brakes will be glueed to the wheels later and are rotable. A first try to mount the motor show me that the pedastals were to low, so I had to thicken them with 1 mm cardboard.

lenkung017cb.jpg

Report_61

Before I mount some other little parts to the chassis, I want to arm the motor, because I don't want any surprises with blockings.

motoreinbau011qz.jpg

Report_62

The motor resides in the frame only by two pedastals and a connection (glueing) between the gear box and the chassis. The cooler also was glueing to the chassis.

motoreinbau025gl.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_63

The next thought was causing with the realization of the shaft drive. The solution of the designer looks not very workable to me, because the fixing of the cardan joint would stand against the right endposition of the shaft drive. So I tried to make the cardan joints in a movable way. The crosses were cut off round polysterol, glued together and then I made some holes with 0,4 mm in the bearing ends. Into this holes are going some tiny bolt replicas made of brass, which were fix glued to the paper clips.

antriebsachsen019ox.jpg

Report_64

This 3 little paper parts are creating the steering gear and completing the steering mechanism.

lenkung024tu.jpg

Report_65

Here you can see the ready shaft drives. I had to shorten them about some millimeters. The exactly spacing was reading out of the modell, by using a divider. The shaft drives including the cardan joints were shorten to this lenght.

antriebsachsen021vm.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_66

The following pictures showing the mounted small parts, which require a lot of time and patience.
Steering gear - top view:

lenkung034zu.jpg

Report_67

Rear shaft drive - top view:

antriebsachsen030sv.jpg

Report_68

Front shaft drive - top view:

antriebsachsen049pt.jpg

Report_69

Steering gear with push rod - bottom up:

lenkung048ps.jpg

Report_70

Rear shaft drive - bottom up:

antriebsachsen053rs.jpg

Report_71

Front shaft drive - bottom up:

antriebsachsen064eh.jpg

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Josef

Now that is what you call a work of art :shock:

The standard of work in this is just amazing, more please when you can!!

I look forward to each and every post on this
Keep up the great work and sharing your ideas and tips

Rob

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Hi, jrts and dwgannon!

Thank you for the flowers!

jrts:
Last week I received a letter from Canada with the 2nd price of the airplane contest - thank you very much again.

For the next contest in the armoured section I have just a target in my mind. :lol:
I think the jeep would fit in group 3? There is only need to finish it at right time.

Servus from Vienna
Josef

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Josef,

The rest of the armour competitors are now wishing you a very happy 120 day uhrlaub...., kidding aside your work is in a word wonderful. I look forward to each installment and carefully view it three or four times to make sure I didn't miss anything important. Keep up the work fantastic!

Best regards, Gil

Leif Oh

Jan 27, 2004
Goteborg, Sweden
My, oh my, what a precedence you are setting, Josef! I do hope and think you have as much pleasure from accomplishing this as the rest of us have watching you do it!

Leif

Orion

Jun 18, 2005
Poland, Tarnow
Hi
Your "work" looks great,really :shock:
I think about this model also because it will fit to my "Half Track".
I plan the realization of tank with that wartime also,....maybe some of version "Sherman"
There now first "Willis"
I with great attention will be "followed" your "work" and your report.

I wish persistence
You put "cross-beam" (ceiling)very,..... very high :D

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Gil said:
Josef,

The rest of the armour competitors are now wishing you a very happy 120 day uhrlaub...., kidding aside your work is in a word wonderful. I look forward to each installment and carefully view it three or four times to make sure I didn't miss anything important. Keep up the work fantastic!

Best regards, Gil

Hi, Gil!

Thank you for the nice words. 120 days holliday (Urlaub) sounds great, but I think my boss would have some problems with it. :shock:

Servus
Josef

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Hi Orion!

Thank you for the nice words and the attention to my report. I wish you much fun and never empty glue bottle for the project with the tank.

If the 'cross-beam' is to high for me, I try to go under it or go around it, so I'm quicker. 8)

Kindly regards

Josef

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_74:

To complete the undercarriage, there were missing the bumpers. The hook ist made of etching parts and has function to accept a hanger. The bumper itself is made of paper without after treatment (unpainted).

bild749om.jpg

Report_75:

The front bumper is also made of paper like just coming out of the printer. I don't want to agonize myself with the painting of the ensigns. The color of the painted and the printed areas looks very similar. The hole in the bumper should be for an emergancy start with a crank lever.

bild758ck.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_76

After finishing the undercarriage, I start with the auto body. All made of paper and cardboard - a view without any 'make up' out of the working process.

bild768kn.jpg

Report_77

Auto body view bottom-up. The bulge for the motor was very heavy work for bad fitting accuracy.

bild772zt.jpg

Report_78

The light grey painted areas show intensive after work with grinding. The paint seals the cardboard and avert it to fray.

bild784ym.jpg

Report_79

The white areas will become another outer layer of printed parts.

bild794mk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.