Finger Lakes Railfair

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
This is a first announcement of this year's version of the annual Finger Lakes Railfair, sponsored by the Cornell Chapter NRHS/Cornell Railroad Historical Society. The event will be held at "The Field" in Ithaca, NY on April 26 and 27. We try to cover just about any rail interest, from models in many scales and gauges to all sorts of railroadiana. There are lots of dealers selling model and prototype stuff, and plenty of displays to satisfy everyone. There is also food available, along with videos and slides.

If anyone would like further information, send me your snail mail address by private email and I will be happy to send you a flyer.

I will be posting more information between now and the time of the event, so stay tuned.

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
You can't get rid of me guys!

With just about a month to go before the event, it's time to remind you about the Finger Lakes Railfair, to be held April 26 and 27 in Ithaca, NY. Hours are from 10-5 on Saturday and 10-4 on Sunday. Admission is $4.00 for adults, $2.00 for Children 3-12 and there is a Family Rate of just $9.00.

There will be all sorts of model displays and vendors of both model and prototype stuff. Books and pictures, too.

If you will be in the area, stop by and introduce yourself. If I'm not manning the New Haven Railroad Technical and Historical Association/Danbury Railroad Museum table, I'll be around somewhere. Please ask for me.

Anyone wanting more information, please feel free to contact me, either here on The Gauge or by private email.

Hope to see some Gaugers there.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Dang. I forgot all about your previous posts and just two days ago made plans for that weekend. would've liked to make it there. Isn't there a tourist train operation there all summer? Not refering to a map and not knowing the area well, is the Adirondack operation near the Finger Lakes, is it the same operation? Don't they have an RS3 in lightning stripes there? Lots of questions I know. As I recall, they were working on connecting two stretches of track up to Lake Placid, right? I'd appreciate any info you can share.

Gary

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Finger Lakes Questions

Gary:

The Adirondack Scenic departs from Utica, which is about two hours NNE of where the Railfair is; but it's certainly within the general region, for anyone wanting to spend some time here.

I'm not sure if Adirondack has an RS3 in lightning stripes; but I believe the Finger Lakes Railway does. That's even closer, but is a comoon carrier, not a tourist operation (although they are planning some tourist operations, I believe)

Yes, they do have to stretches of track to Lake Placid, and I think they may now be connected; but I don't thinkthey're running egular trains over both together just yet. I could be wrong, though,

Interurben:

I haven't tried posting any pictures here yet; but that sounds like a good idea to get folks here.

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Dave,

I searched the www for more information or website about this and I am unable to come up with anything. My wife and I will be going up Sunday morning. I have never been to this event. Is there a site that explains it in more detail?

Thank you Dave, we'll see you there.

MrBones

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
That helped Dave, thank you. I searched google and didn't come up with that first one.

I will be coming up on Sunday. Will I miss much by not attending on Saturday?

My main interest at the moment is layouts. I need ideas. I have view many on the internet and magazines, but I want to "see" one up close. I still haven't started my own layout, and am wide open for ideas.

MrBones

coachsig

Feb 15, 2002
Sebring, FL
Dave, Gary, Chris, and MrBones:

For some info on the area you might try :www.tier.net/~nvhistory/depot.htm Hope I got it right!
Newark Valley is only 20-25 miles from Ithaca and has a train excursion and a small RR depot museum. I'm not sure it it is open yet for the spring but if it is, it is a worthwhile side trip. I am a little biased as I lived there for 20 years before moving to FL. In fact, if you do go be sure to look across Maple Ave. and you will see a blue house. It was the old trainmasters house and was moved to its present site by oxen and logs. It was across the street at one time near the station. I know this as it was MY house!

Dave, if it is not open you could try contacting Mr. Shaver (I think his first name is Norm) and he lives on Whig St in NV. He may be able to make arrangements for a tour. By the way the depot has a very nice HO layout of the surrounding area and LVRR.

Sorry to babble but I finally know something that might be of help to others and am excited about that!!!!!

Coachsig

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Put me in coach!

Sorry, I had to be the first. Thanks for the information. I too used to attend the NV High School. Moved from there in 1970, so much has changed. I took my wife for a drive up there last year and we marked on our calendar, a ride on the excursion for August of this year.

This year I am also going to SteamTown in Scranton. I live so close and have yet to ride it. In my defense, I have only been in this hobby for almost three months. I don't think they run in winter though. So much to see and photograph around me. Last Saturday I went up above Scranton and photographed the Nicholson Viaduct. My N-scale layout will be from the west, but I have got to add a replica of that somehow.

Sorry to babble also.

MrBones

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Mr. B.:

The only thing you'll miss by not coming on Saturday is two whole days of Railfair! Seriously, things should be pretty much the same either or both days, as we discourage vendors and exhibitors from only "doing" one day.

As to layouts, there will be good sized HO and N modular setups, an S and probably some others, too. Also lots of vendors to sell you what you need, after you see it in place on one or more layouts.

Enjoy!

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
With a little over a week to go before "the big event" it's time for me to remind everyone again about the Finger Lakes Railfair.

I'll be there the whole time, and you can best find me at the New Haven Railroad Technical and Historical Association/Danbury Railway Museum table or at the host Cornell Railroad Historical Society table. If you make it, please stop by and say hello, if you can spare the time from looking at our marvelous displays and vendors.