FINESCALE MODELER, here we come!

Discussion in 'Events & News' started by sakrison, May 21, 2009.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

A couple of months ago, I submitted an article to Finescale Modeler Magazine, about my 1/16 scale Merlin 45 Engine. They've accepted it for publication, along with a sidebar on paper modeling.
    No word on date of publication yet. I'll let you know when I hear.

No worries,
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Great magazine, I presently do not subscribe to them But in the past, they were like my bible to plastic modeling techniques. It would be great if they reserve a section for paper modelers, on occasion.
  3. bf109

bf109 Member

yes let us know , we sell the mag so for me it will be simple to read your article
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I'll buy a copy when the issue date is announced... this is gonna be goooooooooood :twisted:
  5. sakrison

sakrison Member

Where do we go from here?

I've been chatting by Private Message with a couple of the forum members and I think it's worth sharing some thoughts here.

We should be burying FineScale Modeler's editors with Readers' Gallery submissions. All it takes is a good photo and a few words about the model. With the modeling skills and materials on this and other forums, we could easily submit one or two Gallery photos a month, year-round.

Most FSM readers (and editors) are still in the "Holy Cow! That's Paper?!" frame of mind. We need to first show them what's possible and hint at the advantages of paper modeling as we see them. Among other things, that means including plenty of free-download models in our Gallery submissions. Free- or fee-models, cost comparisons and the economy are certainly on our side.

The editors and readers will gradually come to see us as closer to the mainstream than the (lunatic) fringe and they will start asking us for "how-to" articles. Until then, I think we need to focus on showing them what we can do, and that there are a lot more of us than they realize. Remember, the first question any editor will ask is, "Will my readers care?"

And we actually have to show them; they won't come looking.
    So, let's get those Readers' Gallery submissions rolling.

I can help you with text and some basic "Photoshopping." There are plenty of modelers on this and the other forums whose work is worthy of the FSM Readers' Gallery. (And don't forget all the other scale modeling magazines out there.)

I would also be willing to coordinate submissions, scheduling 1, 2, or 3 a month so we keep a steady flow, instead of 87 photos this month and 2 next month.

If you want to nominate a model(er) or chat about an idea, drop me a line at

No worries,

P.S.: When the editors at FSM ask us for a Kit Review, we'll know we've arrived. :mrgreen:

Guidelines for submitting articles, photos, and other stuff to FSM are here.
  6. Sippy

Sippy New Member

this idea is good. Very good builders of paper models.

At armor section was a good reaction for paper-card models in 1-25 scale when i introduce my collection.The same we `ve present my Friends models with a success.
    Every one place is good to presentation paper-card modelling.
  8. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

Any News on he date of Publication?
  9. sakrison

sakrison Member

IPMS friends tell me it can take several years between the time an article is accepted and paid for and the time it appears in FSM. I can't vouch for the truth of that, but I'm not sitting on a hot stove waiting, either. When it's published, you'll hear the cheering.

No worries,
  10. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

OMG, Years... wow never thought that they could have so much material. Ok, will wait to hear the cheers..:mrgreen:
  11. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Member

Hey, congratulations!!!
    I'm kinda curious, are they paying you for putting your work in a magazine?:confused:
  12. sakrison

sakrison Member

Yes, they paid me for the article. It wasn't much, but it was nice of them.
  13. jtkirklin

jtkirklin New Member

Congrats on your article acceptance

I will definitely purchase a copy of the magazine the month your article is in it