Fine Scale Foliage

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Aug 29, 2002.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Fine Scale Foliage by Woodland Scenics - I'd heard about it, I'd fondled the package, but this afternoon I finally bought some. A bit pricey but WOW! It looks great.

Just thought y'all might like to know.

2. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Val, That sounds interesting...gonna look for it better than that clumpy lumpy stuff that they've had for years?
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I saw this stuff at the industry show in Rosemont Il., at the Woodland Scenics booth, SPECTACULAR !!! I have to add though, those guys are far better at scenery than I am.
    I got some of it when it became available, but haven't had the time to try it out yet.(too many projects)
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Uh, let's see, Let me have another look at it.

5. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

I always seem to get strange looks whenever I partake of package fondling in my local hobby shop. :p
  6. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

I hanen't seen this WS product yet... Is it anything like "Decorator Moss"? People use it for planters, hanging flower baskets etc...
    I get mine at a local craft store. Ben Franklin, AC Moore, Michaels--they all carry it. At about a buck a bag it's infinately cheaper than WS. The texture is very fine and makes great looking underbrush and shrubbery. I stuff wads of it under trees in wooded areas, mist on spray adhesive and sprinkle fine ground foam in different shades for color variation.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Well, I'm using the scanner method to get a digital image online. No digital camera yet, sigh.
    Here's what it looks like. Not moss, not lichen, not matted sheets of hairy green stuff. Definitely foreground scenery.

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
  8. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

There's a company named Selkirk Scenery, I've only seen them mentioned in Mainline Modeler, that has made an excellant tree foliage for some time. I haven't seen the WS product, but wonder if it's similar. Too bad Selkirk couldn't/didn't get a bigger market share. They have a website but I don't know it right now and I'm going on vacation. Their address is 1516 19th Ave N.W., Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2m 1A8 Phone # 403-270-2690 Thought they probably wouldn't approve of the following as an example of what their product can look like, it was my first and so far only effort and I am sure many will follow. This is from the photos I took for the contest.

Attached Files:

9. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

:cool: Val...Way Cool!!...from now on I'm going to start levitating foliage! Gotta be less of a mental strain than boxcars and buildings!!!:D ;)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

You're right about that. Especially if you mentally cut off the roots first.

Levitator 2nd Class