Finding drawing software

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by naruponk, Jan 20, 2009.

1. naruponk

naruponk New Member

I'm newbie, can anyone please tell me
    which software should i use to draw a building ?
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

You'll have to be a little more specific. You can use everything from MS Paint to Inkscape to Photoshop to Sketchup to AutoCAD to pen and paper.
  3. Longshaor

Longshaor Member

Not sure if this will help, but...

I WOULD NOT recomend AutoCAD. I'm an AutoCAD cerified draftsman and can speak from personal experience about how maddening trying to design a 3D model in a program that's geared for 2D. Then there's the expense of the liscence, which last time I checked ran somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range (I don't pay attention, work takes care of that stuff). I'd check out the Designer's Corner or Tools of the Trade and ask in there. Hope this was helpful.

4. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

If you are looking for FREE software, so you can choose between SketchUp or Metasequoia, maybe Freespace too, I think they released the code for free.

I use Metasequoia, it's easy to learn and you can create models relativelly fast.

Some people found Sketchup easier to learn, I never tried it so I can't say.

Freespace is a more "professional" tool, and thus will require a way longer learning curve.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

shiftdel is correct, if you run into any troubles using them feel free to ask on the forum~
  6. Claudio

Claudio Member

I would suggest Blender: it is free and reaches professional results.

It is surely not the simplest software, but after learning the basic you will improve fast.
    Moreover, if you start with a simple software then you have to start again with a more satisfying one.
  7. naruponk

naruponk New Member

Thanks guys, I'm looking for a free one :thumb:
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

If you are looking for an actual drawing program, and not a 3D modeling program, I highly recommend Image Forge version 3.64. You need to google for the free version, but it is still avaliable, and a very powerful bitmap drawing program (not an image processing program, and there is a very big difference between the two types of software) ... much easier to learn than auto-cad. It is a memory really needs at least a Gig of RAM to run well, and does not have a very good jpg save routine, but otherwise is a great piece of software....and has one of the best bezier curve tools I've used.
  9. I would reccomend you use Google Sketch software. It's free and you can scan, get from the web, or import from your camera a photo and then draw right over the photo in 3d. It's free and best of all they have great help that you can view on youtube.