Finding a gloss coat in U.S.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by bfam4t6, Jul 17, 2004.

1. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Lately I've been experimenting with various papers and photopapers, but i finally found a pretty much perfect weight. It's 90lb. paper which is about about 60lb. cardstock i think, and it only costs me eighteen cents a sheet. The problem is that it only comes in matte, and I want a semigloss look, and the photopapers are either too glossy, or they are just too thick and aren't fun to work with. So I'm wanting to find a spray that i can easily find in the U.S. that I can spray on each sheet after it has been printed. I want a slight gloss, but I don't want my model to look like a mirror either. Basically the finish that comes on a halinski kit is what i'm looking for. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ohhhh, that is a deep question, I LIKE IT.

you might need to visit Home Depot or Lowe's or your local hardware store, and look for Krylon or similar semigloss clear spray

should only set you back a few bucks

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I agree with Rick; my local hardware store hasd Kylon clear acrylic sprays and they come in matte, semi-gloss and gloss coat. I would be surprised if Home Depot, Michaels or similar chain stores didn't carry them.
    I like to use the matte for the models I work on, but the others should work just as well.
  4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I assume you have an Air Brush. Future Floor wax will give you a high gloss finish if you spray it in light even layers and generally will not change the colors. I have also brushed Future on parts to get a high gloss finish. This is great for mirrors, headlights and the hydraulic cylinders on landing gear. You can also use it to “seal†a model with a couple of very light coats and it will not have a gloss finish.

I also use future floor wax to stiffen small parts by either brushing two or three coats on the back of the part or quickly dipping the part. You will need to be careful when dipping the part you can end up with a gloss finish if you leave too much future on the part. Use a 20% water/ household ammonia mix to clean you brushes and airbrush.

Even the water/ ammonia mix is useful if you use wood dowels in your paper model dip the wood in the mix and you will find that you can easily bend the wood with out breaking.

And before you ask no I don’t have stock in the company :)

As for high gloss photo paper being to thick I have taken a #11 and carefully pealed off the back of the photo paper. You will find that it is easer to work with and it will take glue better.

Jim Nunn
  5. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll give home depot or a craft store a try.

Sorry Jim but I don't have an airbrush. You'd think after modeling for 12 years I'd make the investment but not yet anyways. I'm only 16 so most of those years it wasn't a real serious hobby. It was mostly me just buying those plastic kits and gluing them together in a day. Thanks for the information though. I'll definetly remember the future floor wax and it sounds like it will come in handy for many tasks.

Thanks all :D

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

This is a simple airbrush that only costs $10 including fright, of course the canned air will end up being your main expense. I have used this brush for furniture finishing and to seal paper models with future, it’s not a great airbrush but it gets the job done. If you live on the west coast Harbor Fright will have these in their stores selling for $4, I usually buy them just for the jars, they fit my Paasche and Badger brushes
  7. jcangero

jcangero New Member

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I was able to use Future to gloss up the sea base on my Mexico Victory. I painted the base with water colors to get the color and wave patterns I wanted, then put about six coats of Future on top to get the wet look.
    It seemed to work fine for me.
    I also plan to use it to act as a binding agent for rigging in my next project since it's essentially a clear acrylic but fluid enough to soak into the threads...well, that remains to be seen. :D
  9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

10. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Go out and buy some PVA glue. Home hobbyists, woodworking shops stuff like that.
    Pour some onto your model and spread it evenly over the model with a paint brush.
    Allow to dry - hey presto, a nice glossy finish.
    Don't want glossy - then buy some flat varnish and paint that over the PVA glossy finish.
    Hey presto - a matt finish