Finding a Ghost

Chessie System

Jan 2, 2007
Hey Friends. I just got back from a train show and got a new loco. Its a Chessie System (what elese would it be?), anywho, on the way home I was thinking about this. Does anyone know if there are current photo's of a train with Chessie System paint still? I am sure its probably very well weathered, so anyone know where or have a picture of one?

Thanks
Clif

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
CSX retired their last Chessie-painted locomotive a few years ago.

As for photos have you done an Internet search yet? There are plenty of pages with Chessie photos, even a few dedicated to them.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
that's odd, I remember one of my tutors (I had a problem writing reports in school) said that the Chessie was still active here in Cincinnati, OH when I mentioned MRR

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Chessie was absorbed, en total, by CSX.
The Chessie system paint scheme is gone, as far as I know. Most of the chessie power is outdated.
Fortunately they have pics everywhere on the internet.

Chessie System

Jan 2, 2007
I have found a web page that has just about every Chessie System Loco ever made. However I dont know just how old the pics are. I just thought it would be kinda cool to see a ghost (Kitty who has been put to sleep)

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
There is one shortline in Indiana that still runs a Chessie-painted engine. There might be some others elsewhere. There are also some remote sleds running around on CSX in Chessie paint, but they are no longer operable locomotives.

Chessie System

Jan 2, 2007
Brian Schmidt said:
There is one shortline in Indiana that still runs a Chessie-painted engine. There might be some others elsewhere. There are also some remote sleds running around on CSX in Chessie paint, but they are no longer operable locomotives.

Hmmm, Any more info on the Short line? Maybe a name of what I should search for?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I remember in your other thread you were looking for Chessie rolling stock in HO..

Thought you'd get a kick out of the Chessie stuff I have on my roster.. Both the SW and the caboose are 20-year-old Athearn blue-box kits and they run as nice as the day I got them. Figure they got another 30 years or so of life left in them. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 68

Chessie System

Jan 2, 2007
Thanks Tom, Now I have this urge to get an SW Loco.

I am actualy taking a class at my Local Model Railroad club this next few weeks. I look forward to getting some lessions on weathering and DCC. Not that his has anything to do with Chessie Stuff

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Here Kitty,Kitty!

Picture-009-2.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
iis612 said:
Chessie was absorbed, en total, by CSX.
The Chessie system paint scheme is gone, as far as I know. Most of the chessie power is outdated.
Fortunately they have pics everywhere on the internet.

No..The "C" in CSX stands for Chessie..Only the name and paint as changed.The "S" stands for Seaboard and "X" as multiple. CSX Transportation.

Chessie System

Jan 2, 2007
Interesting Brakie, I was under the impression that the CS what Chessie System and the X was for merged. I cant remember where I heard that, so I will go with your way.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Cool shot, Mark.

I had a horrible Bachmann Chessie F9 as my first ever engine. Got it in a train set when I was five or six. (Ended up moving down the food chain with a Tyco Alco after that, but that's a story for a whole new thread entirely.)

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Chessie System said:
Hmmm, Any more info on the Short line? Maybe a name of what I should search for?

Don't know the name. It might've been a grain elevator's power, too. It sat in Wellsboro / Union Mills, Indiana, depending on what you're referencing.

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Thanks Brian.:wave: I know what you mean, I still have one of those F units around here some where ..:eek:ops:

I think the road you guys maybe looking for is the CKIN, Chesapeake and Indiana RR. They are using a C&O SD18, still in her Chessie paint, for grain service up around Union MIlls , In.