Finally!

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Well, guys and gals, I just cranked up the power to my little railroad empire and everything seems to be working alright. It's a small switching layout (12" x 72") serving a couple of industries on the edge of town. I've cleaned the track, and my little LifeLike 0-6-0 saddle tank pulls and pushes multiple cars through all the turnouts with no mishaps so far. The engine stalls at one or two places on the layout, and I haven't discovered why as yet.:confused:

This is my first modelling effort in over 40 years and I am quite pleased at getting everything up and running this week. After I closely inspect the track for those stall points, then comes some cinder for the yard, scenery and buildings. (heh heh ... Do I sound like an excited little kid?):D

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Congrats Bill. Kids?? Well I think we all act like little kids when we accomplish something successufly(I wish I had spell check on here but there is no spell check for Mack on websites)

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
Woo Hoo!

Way to go Bill. I can understand your excitement. I just got back the other night from a "work session" with a small group of local guys that help each other out with their layouts. The gentleman who's layout I visited was incredible. It's a Sn3 layout that must take 80% of of his ranch basement. The era/setting is the Rocky Mountains in the early 1900's. After seeing his completed scenery and even running a steam loco (with soundtraxx) for a little bit, I too was as excited as when I was 11 years old. I really need to complete my trackplan so I can start building!

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
Spelling on Mac in a website

Clerk,

I am able to spell check words on this website on my Mac. I'm using Mac OS X (10.2.6) and Safari (1.0). I select the text, and control click the selected text. A pop-up menu comes up and spelling is one of the listed items. Also, one of the options is to choose Check Spelling As You Type.

Hope that helps.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Chris. I have a Power Mac G3 with 8.1 system. I can't download anything unless I have at least system 8.6. In trying to download system 8.6, a note came up that I must have system 8.5 before I can download system 8.6. I tried to download system 8.5 from Apple and a note came up that said system 8.5 is no longer available and some other garbage indicating that I am just out of luck. Went to Comp USA and their service personel said to download system 8.5.1. I tried and got the same note that I have to have system 8.5 in order to download system 8.5.1. If that isn't a crock of bull, I don't know what is.

If somebody out there has a CD with system 8.5 that they can send me to upload, I would sure appreciate it.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Sounds like fun, Bill! I'm interesting in seeing your final trackplan, if you can put it online somewhere. Or did you go with one of those posted by Shamus or Val?

We're all little kids when it comes to our trains. And the excitement is contagious!

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It IS very exciting.

I'm unable to post pictures at the present time but I did try to post the layout. It was too large and I don't know how to reduce it. Not sure that my old computer has the space to do it anyway.

It appears at the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/inglenook-layouts.html

I'm modelling in N for the present, (all the stuff I picked up at a sale was N) with a view of switching to HOn30 at some point. So far, I've only had to purchase the turnouts and the little 0-6-0.

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Actually, I had thought of that, Tyson. I was already considering the purchase of a 4-4-0, or some other steamer with a longer wheelbase or larger diameter wheels.

The stall points don't seem to always be in the same places, so it well could be the LifeLike 0-6-0. The electrical supply tests consistently good over the whole layout.

I hadn't considered a diesel, but some of them ARE relatively inexpensive so I'll probably try that ... AND, if I ever do go to HOn30, it would make a good power unit for kit-bashing.

I am not affiliated with any clubs or other local modellers, at the moment, so borrowing is not an option I choose to pursue.

Thanks for the advice. Time to visit my LHS.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I like switching layouts, if I was restriced to a small layout, it would be a switching layout. There is always so much to do! They are very interesting.