Finally Settled on an idea...

Toother1321

Aug 29, 2006
First let me introduce myself,

I've been lurking these forums for a while now, and have been thinking hard about what I would like to model my first real railroad after. I am no stranger to model railroading. I built my first HO railroad when I was about 8. Since then it's just been simple loops with a yard or 2. I am a full season pittsburgh pirates, and pengins ticket holder, and I am about to graduate with my degree in Tech-Ed.

Now that I'm finally about done to be a student and will have some income, time, and space. I'm getting antsy to start planning. I have always been more interested in the yard aspect of a model railroad than I have been in running trains. I am also in love with large steam engines. Sometime yesterday I had a vision for my layout theme, and i dont know how I hadn't thought of it before. I would like to make a railroad based on the 1940's pittsburgh steel industry.

I would like to have a large yard at a steel mill, a yard next to some docks on the allegheney to deliver coal to the mill, and some sort of city building project where the finished steel needs to be delivered. I'd also like to have some sort of engine servicing area. i'd like most of the railroad to be point to point operation. However I'll need atleast a loop or two of continuous running for young kids. If anybody knows of any good books or websites about building yards. Or about railroads that operated for the pittsburgh steel industry during that area. I'd really appreciate some references, I'm really excited to start planning my first pike and would really like to get all the info i can before I start track planning.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
CustomHobbyDecals.com

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
You should fit in since I think the Pens are a more expensive hobby with ticket prices at $90 for A/B level. I have nice memories as a kid of the glow from the steel mill along the Mon coming to the Pen games form the parkway. I think that might have been the old J&L plant.

You have many steel mills to model after just pick your river the Ohio, Allegheny or the Mon. Modeling point to point is easy since most things can only go up or down the rivers due to the steep river banks.

A good choice would be to have some coal trains that provided the steady flow of fuel for the steel mines during your time period. I don’t think the coke ovens out in Fayette County were still operating but that could be another choice. You could even toss in an interesting combination of trains in the street off loading produce in the Strip.

If you from Pittsburgh just stop in at any of the local bookstores and you will find more than enough information on the Pittsburgh steel mills. Even Kaufmanns now Macy’s had some in their book store located on the ninth floor.

The Mon offers several choices of steel mills with river traffic & wharfs though most of those were for off loading coal from barges.

Now for the real question how does a college student afford to pay for college and season tickets? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) Can you say 4-4 with Toronto in the 3rd?

[FONT=&quot]Oh and welcome aboard from another Western Pennsylvanian though relocated just a little more to the east. [/FONT]

Toother1321

Aug 29, 2006
I work 40 hours a week. and, pirates tickets are pretty cheap. 81 games for 800 bucks. And as far as A and B level forget that, i'd never be able to get those. I'm up top, but the arena is so small there is really no bad seat in the house!!

Steve
CustomHobbyDecals.com

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Renovo PPR said:
Can you say 4-4 with Toronto in the 3rd?

I can say it, ;) but I'd rather not say the final score. :cry: Not that I'm a Pens fan, but I'd rather be modelling buses than be a fan of the Maple Loafs. Golf, Leafs, Golf. At least the Rangers came through last night. :thumb:

Steve, welcome to the Gauge. :wave: There are several steel mill modellers here, and while I don't model the industry, I spent my working days in a steel mill.

Wayne