Finally!! My Main Line Is UP!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
After many abortive attempts, my main line is completely laid. This time, free from derailments, uncouplings, and kinks.

Here, the first train leaves town. Now, to the testing.:D :D

Attachments

• mainlineup.jpg
    mainlineup.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 209

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looking great Steve, where did you get the switch stand from and how much are they please, did a few of those.

cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
The Testing Part Is FUN!

Well, yes...at the moment, it's all raw plywood, tools lying all about, and bits and bobs hither and yon. It is, however, running.

Being part of the GAUGE is kind of like having 75 or so people in the train room with me helping out. (And one guy always asking,"Where's the overhead??"):D

While I've laid the main line a few times, this time it has been properly laid, wired, and insulated. Rail joints on curves were soldered and better sub-roadbed and splices were used, thus eliminating derailments and uncoupling due to wavy track heights.

The track, for the time being, is just stock Atlas code 83 flex. Looks okay,and it is inexpensive. Perhaps later I will pull lengths and relay them by hand with the ties used for my logging area.

I've since put in a few hours of test running, and there are no problems. Very, very happy. It might not look like much, but what great fun to work on something and being able to glance up at a train as it goes by.:)

The switch stand is from Alder, and they are beauties. The rolling stock is pretty much all RTR Bachmann. The locomotive is about halfway through being stripped, as I do not care for a Pennsy loco on a northern Canadian line.

Here is a shot of the station mockup, although I think that a smaller station will likely come about. The line to the right is likely to be a team track. I'm not too sure what's going to happen with the branchline up top.

Attachments

• atstation.jpg
    atstation.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 114

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by shamus
Looking great Steve, where did you get the switch stand from and how much are they please, did a few of those.

cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

Hi Shamus,

I believe Steve's switch stands are from Alder Models, just up the road here, so to speak.

http://www.magma.ca/~alder/

I have seen his stuff in person, and it is amazing. The log buildings (in HO only ;)) are exact replicas of building still standing in Deep River, Ontario, just up the valley from Ottawa. They are always very nice and professional at the shows where I have encountered them.

Andrew

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Passenger Train On The Line...

I pulled out some older HO stuff I was working on before I found On30. Since the gauge is the same, I can still run this stuff on this layout. This is the first time I've ever run this stuff around...other than back and forth down a short test track. As you can see, I never did complete the repainting and decalling of these F units. Maybe now I will.:)

Attachments

• ho on the line.jpg
    ho on the line.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 78