Finally got started

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Of course I had to hook up the DCC just to give it a try. Here is an Atlas GP7 hauling a small freight through Teemer. I am hooked on DCC. Had 3 trains going at once on different tracks and different directions on one throttle. What a blast. :) :) :D :D :D

Attachments

• branch 1.jpg
    branch 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 94

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
In another thread Shamus provided a plan for a "scratch-building" project to another 'Gauger". I, of course, had to try it as I have not done any scratchbuilding. My trial structure was just using cardboard and artist acrylics. I liked the result and have decided that I am going to build a "real" structure with the modifications that I have added and call this the "Shamus Meat Packing Plant.

Attachments

• shamus packing plant.jpg
    shamus packing plant.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 96

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Here is another view of the Shamus Plant with the cattle pens. I am using cardboard structures to look at positioning and clearances. Next week I will start putting the mountains and ground covering on. I think this is going to take a while as there is about 84+ linear feet of layout to cover and I want to do several unique scenes along the way. Now the fun begins.:D :D :) :)

Attachments

• shamus packing plant and cattle yard.jpg
    shamus packing plant and cattle yard.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 82

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
David
That is a great layout. I also have two main lines with a dual throttle transformer so I can run two trains at once. This is all DC as I can't afford DCC. I have another transformer for the yard so while the trains are running on the mains, I can do switching in the yard.
I have a Northern 4-8-4 and have no trouble with #4 switches. The tender has 4 axel trucks.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by jkristia
......... How did yoi get that hazy look of the distant mountains ?

Jesper

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the comments. I can't take credit for the backdrop. Gavin Miller has a thread in this forum that shows how to do it. It is very easy - just layering your mountains and "misting" them with a lightly sprayed white, add another layer, mist, etc. I did 4 layers before the final. Here is the link to his thread.

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2906

:) :)

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
David I really like what you're doing there - most impressive and it looks to be a real interesting layout. Since the pics only show so much, and I'm interested in seeing more of the other end, you wouldn't happen to be able to show a trackplan would you? I'm always up for stealing someone else's great ideas! :D :p

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by msh
....... you wouldn't happen to be able to show a trackplan would you? I'm always up for stealing someone else's great ideas! :D :p

msh,

Here is the link to the track plan:
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2931

Feel free to use whatever you want. I did that same thing when I started drawing my plan. I do have a change that is not on the plan however. In the lower left corner, I eliminated the crossover and connect the yard to the outer main by a 4 track ladder. The first switch of the ladder also has another switch to accomodate the 5th track.

Have fun:) :)