Finally finished my Standard Oil Company

Thought you guys might want to see my finished Standard Oil Company.
The model is mounted on a styrene base the shape of its respective area and the ground cover will be done when in place.

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

Mike :wave:

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Nice job. Looks like it's a good size for a siding with maybe six tankers set out at a time? Was Standard before Esso, Sohio, etc, and what years is it appropriate for?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Great job Mike, love the details, very prototypical.:thumb: :thumb:

George,

As I remember, Standard, ESSO and Sohio were all separate. Here in the west, I think ESSO mergered with Humble Oil, then Humble merged with Exxon. Standard just seemed to disappear from around here, I'm sure they mergered with somebody, maybe they live on somewhere else, but it is tough to keep track of all these moves, mergers and aquisitions all the time.:rolleyes:

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
ezdays said:
George,

As I remember, Standard, ESSO and Sohio were all separate. Here in the west, I think ESSO mergered with Humble Oil, then Humble merged with Exxon. Standard just seemed to disappear from around here, I'm sure they mergered with somebody, maybe they live on somewhere else, but it is tough to keep track of all these moves, mergers and aquisitions all the time.
rolleyes.gif
ESSO, Sohio, and a whole host of others (Exxon, etc.) all trace their roots back to John D. Rockefeller's original Standard Oil Company. Following a Supreme Court decision in 1911 (which came after years of lower-court wrangling) the original company -- having sought refuge from Sherman anti-trust provisions by masquerading as separate entities, each of whom just happened to have an identical board of directors -- was forced to split into 34 companies. (Rockefeller, however, retained stock ownership in most of those companies.)

Here in California, I remember seeing both Standard and Chevron service stations throughout the 1950s, even though Standard Oil of California had long-since acquired Chevron (into which it subsequently dissolved itself). The two companies by that time shared a logo -- which is pretty much the same as Chevron's current logo -- but entirely different color schemes.

-- Paul

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
:thumb: :thumb:

Mike. That is a nice piece of work. And I really like the way that you incorporated it into your layout. Good job.

You do need to modify your sig now - that is NOT CRAPPY WORK!!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, what can I say that hasn't been said already... Great job, looks so prototypical.:thumb::thumb: Great spot for it as well.

Did someone say that was a kit? If so, who makes it?