Finally finished my Standard Oil Company

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by fifer, Jan 30, 2006.

1. fifer

fifer Active Member

Thought you guys might want to see my finished Standard Oil Company.
    The model is mounted on a styrene base the shape of its respective area and the ground cover will be done when in place.

Mike :wave:
  2. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

Nice job. Looks like it's a good size for a siding with maybe six tankers set out at a time? Was Standard before Esso, Sohio, etc, and what years is it appropriate for?
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Looks Great. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job!
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Great job Mike, love the details, very prototypical.:thumb: :thumb:

As I remember, Standard, ESSO and Sohio were all separate. Here in the west, I think ESSO mergered with Humble Oil, then Humble merged with Exxon. Standard just seemed to disappear from around here, I'm sure they mergered with somebody, maybe they live on somewhere else, but it is tough to keep track of all these moves, mergers and aquisitions all the time.:rolleyes:
  6. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

i like that it gives me some ideas i have been thinking of puting on of those on my layout
  7. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Beautiful job Mike.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. coaster

coaster Member

ESSO, Sohio, and a whole host of others (Exxon, etc.) all trace their roots back to John D. Rockefeller's original Standard Oil Company. Following a Supreme Court decision in 1911 (which came after years of lower-court wrangling) the original company -- having sought refuge from Sherman anti-trust provisions by masquerading as separate entities, each of whom just happened to have an identical board of directors -- was forced to split into 34 companies. (Rockefeller, however, retained stock ownership in most of those companies.)

Here in California, I remember seeing both Standard and Chevron service stations throughout the 1950s, even though Standard Oil of California had long-since acquired Chevron (into which it subsequently dissolved itself). The two companies by that time shared a logo -- which is pretty much the same as Chevron's current logo -- but entirely different color schemes.

-- Paul
  9. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Very nicely done!!!
  10. fifer

fifer Active Member

Thanks very much guys ! I hope to get some better pics on the layout. I forgot to set the camera for closups in these.
    Thanks , Mike
  11. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That is a nice kit, Fifer, & you've done a great job with it!

:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
  12. fifer

fifer Active Member

Here are some pictures of it in place.

13. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

:thumb: :thumb:

Mike. That is a nice piece of work. And I really like the way that you incorporated it into your layout. Good job.

You do need to modify your sig now - that is NOT CRAPPY WORK!!!
  14. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: Beautiful. Looks like it is real.
  15. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Looking good Mike.
  16. Dwells

Dwells New Member

Wow Thats really good work.
    Good job.[​IMG]
  17. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, what can I say that hasn't been said already... Great job, looks so prototypical.:thumb::thumb: Great spot for it as well.

Did someone say that was a kit? If so, who makes it?
  18. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Excellent work!
    Can't wait to see more of yours.
  19. fifer

fifer Active Member

Thanks Guys , good to see you all sometimes. :wave:
    Don , yes it is a Walthers Interstate Fuel.