Finally building first layout

Cornreaper

Apr 26, 2006
Barrie, ON
Hi, I'm building an n-scale layout on a door, and I have a couple of questions before I begin:

1) Do I need to solder the track, or is that overkill on a fairly small layout? I'm just using regular code 80 snap-track for this attempt.

2) I have two new Lifelike/Bevbel CPR F9 (or F7, they seem to be some sort of hybrid) locos. I've heard these are fairly decent, but are they anywhere near suitable for realistic operations?

3) I also have two MRC Railpower 1300 power packs. Will these have enough juice?

Thanks for your time!

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Soldering the track is still a good habit, as well as having several points where power from the power pack is running from the track. If you are wiring for two-cab control (each section of the layout can be set to be controlled by one cab or the other) then you'll need insulated connectors to separate blocks, and a power feed for each section, leading to a control panel that can select which cab (power pack) controls which block. On a small layout, if you think you'll only be running one train at a time, two powerpacks and cab control might be overkill--one power pack should be plenty.