Finally! A trackplan I like

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, I've been messing around for over a year trying to finalize a trackplan that a) has everything I want and b) is do-able. Everything fell into place when CNR decided to expropriate more land - giving the opportunity to have a realistic small yard and continuous running, for both the RR and the TTC.

I haven't finalized the Wharf Lead yet (or the engine servicing area) but I am really happy that I'll get a chance to model that spur. As Brakie knows from photo's we've shared on the chat, it is everything an industrial spur should be.

Since my first scratchbuild of the house turned out ok, I'm thinking of working with fewer kits, and scratching more prototypical structures, and the Wharf Lead will be a great place to begin!! :)

Val

trackplan.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Its worth waiting for if you arrive at a plan that really satisfies! Glad you could get more space for the layout. I like the way your city trolley is elevated over the other track. I wonder though if you might be a bit optimistic about how many tracks you'll really fit in that yard ladder on the right but it does seem like the right location for the yard. Best of luck Val!
Ralph

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with Ralph Val, everything looks good except where the yard (#6) is. Even if you could get that many switches and track into that area it would be a maintanice nightmare IMHO. Also how wide is your benchwork there? Will you be able to reach all the way to the back for cleaning etc.?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Tyson Rayles said:
I agree with Ralph Val, everything looks good except where the yard (#6) is. Even if you could get that many switches and track into that area it would be a maintanice nightmare IMHO. Also how wide is your benchwork there? Will you be able to reach all the way to the back for cleaning etc.?

Well, I'm using my best guess as to how many turnouts will fit. Tracks 2" apart, 12.5° turnouts. If I have to lose part of the ladder, that's ok. The main idea is to model the Parkdale Yard, which was a sort of "pocket yard" for sorting prior to entering the wharf lead.

My biggest nightmare has been levels, and this finally works out all of that, so I'm happy.

:) Val

edit: sorry Tyson, forgot to say, the benchwork there is 32"

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Val,You got my vote..Excellant track plan! :thumb: :D

Val,In the space you have there should be no problems using that many switches..
As far as maintenance if you can reach those switches then use ground throws.However,electric switches will work as good.We have several electric switches in our yards at the club..There isn't that much maintenance.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the votes of confidence my friends! :)

Brakie, the farthest turnouts are 29" from the edge of the benchwork. I guess I'll see how reachable they are when I build the benchwork. I plan to build this yard gradually, so as not to stress the wallet too much all at one time, and the fewer switch machines I have to buy, the better. :D :D

Val

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Looks Great Val!!
As a side note, I was just looking at some pictures of the Old West Duluth Depot.It was a 3 story job set up with the platforms on the 3rd floor for the Mainline (soo line i believe)and the streetcar platform on the mainfloor.
It would make a good jumping off point for scratchbuilding your union station or at least give you some visual idea's.It wasnt an overly large structure and had simple lines but would be easy to dress up.
Theres an article on it in Model Railroader 1958(cant remember the month but its likely in the online index)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Tileguy said:
Looks Great Val!!
As a side note, I was just looking at some pictures of the Old West Duluth Depot....
It would make a good jumping off point for scratchbuilding your union station or at least give you some visual idea's.It wasnt an overly large structure and had simple lines but would be easy to dress up.

Thanks for the tip Tileguy. It sounds like a neat project, although the station I have in mind is Toronto's Union Station and it's pretty big. Picture 3 Walthers Union Station kits put together.

I will probably use one of the kits, or scratchbuild, if I feel ambitious.

Here's what it looks like.

Val

Attachments

• Union.jpg
    Union.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 570

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Robin, if I worked as quickly as you I might have it done in time for the BBQ!!!

Chris, I just ordered a streetcar today! It's only a cheap Bachmann, but it's good because I have a TTC shell for the same model and because I will be able to run it as soon as I get the track layed!!!

I know, I know. :rolleyes: One day I'll get a Bowser, when I'm feeling ambitious enough to do live overhead.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Tileguy said:
Wow Val, thats a big sucker :D
A very ambitious project for sure.My stockholders would cringe ;)

So, are we going to include some nice see through Atriums for the platforms :)

"We"? Did you say "we"? Does that mean you're going to help me build it? :D :D

Actually, since you ask, I'm planning to build the interior of the station platforms, based on some photos I have. The idea is to some day get one of those on-board mini videocams. That will actually be the only way to really see under the station.

Anyway, that project is a long way off. First I'm going to build the streetcar (trolley) section. The benchwork is 1/2 complete as of now. Finishing that could well take years!!!

Val

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Sure Val,I'll help!! I'll give you all the encouragement and support i can from 1000 miles away ;)
Long distance gluing is still in the future i believe :D :D :D

I'm still jelous you have a Sound equipped Loco though :)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Val,Perhaps we could throw you a layout party? Thats where all the guys and gals show up with their tool boxes and builds a layout in 3 days..Look it..If the Amish can raise a barn in 3 days I just know a mob of modelers can build a layout in that time frame. :D