Finally a great paper source

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Ron, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

I finally found a great source of paper! Boise MP Cover at 9.95 CDN
    for 250 sheets. It's smooth as can be, doesn't delaminate very much and is really white. If you're Canadian, Grand and Toy office supplies stock it.
    It's American made so you guys south of the border shouldn't have a problem finding it

Here's their site

2. Ron

Ron Member

Don't be buying this!!! WIth all my joy thinking I found a great one...I was let down hard. It behaves like 120lb stock, buckles easily and is a *pain*
    to cut. It might have merit when used for flat plating or re-enforcement material. Back to the trusty Staples brand :)
  3. Brent

Brent New Member

Being a fellow Canadian, what weight paper do you buy at Staples?

4. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Brent

The brand I find best is the Georgia Pacific 67lb 147g/sq metre cover stock. Made in the States btw :) 10.97 for a ream of 250 sheets. The thing I like about this paper is that it doesn't kink or crease when rolling it, it holds the shape extremely well and printing on it with my HP940c is a breeze.

All the best
  5. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

I have been using Card Stock from Georgia-Pacific company also. This comes in a 150 sheet package with a weight of 110 Lbs @ 199 g/m2. Its also is eazy to roll and seems to hold up well. I print my downloaded models on my Canon i560 printer and have been very pleased with the output from this unit. I purchase my paper from our local Wal-Mart store.
  6. Ajax

Ajax Member

I see there's quite a range of variation in the strength<?> of the card stock members are using -- 67 lbs to 110 lbs!

I've been using Bristol 67 lb card stock, but I was browsing Digital Navy’s FAQ and saw that Roman recommends Hammermill 74 lb stock for his models. Is this really a significant difference, or should using my 67 lb stock be fine?

7. barry

barry Active Member

I would think it is fine especially when you have to double up quite often. Best thing to do I think print, out a complicated page and have a practice. If it feels right then it's Ok.

I have a box of odd stock I usually just wobble it between my fingers to check it.

You will also need 80gsm paper or less for some bits, I take the view ink does not cost that much so I print as many pages as I need on various weights.

8. Ajax

Ajax Member

^ Thanks for the advice, Barry. I was hoping the 7 lbs wouldn't make much of a difference, but I wanted to check with the experts just to make sure!

9. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I'm sure soeone's mentioned this before, but it's hard to compare papers using their "pound" weights. I've been using Wausau "Bright White" 65 pound cover stock. Which is much smoother and denser than 67 pound Bristol.

This confused me, until I compared the metric weights. The Bristol has a weight of about 145 gsm, while the Cover Stock is 176 gsm.

The best way to compare two types of paper is by metric weight and "caliper size", the actual thickness of the paper. The reason I went to 65# Cover Stock in the first place, is that somebody published a study of the caliper sizes of the paper used in published kits. The closest comercial paper I sould find was 65# CS.

Card Stock is a third type of paper, different from Bristol and Cover Stock. Once again, metric weight is a much better comparison than pound weight.
  10. Ajax

Ajax Member

Thanks for the additional info, Atomsk! I don't really know that much about paper and didn't realize how misleading the pound weights could be. I'll certainly be on the lookout for that Wausau 65 lb. cover stock next time I hit the store.