Final result of caulking fun - test photo shoot

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
While I'll probably stick with "wet"water and diluted white glue, this method does appear to be a viable alternative to older methods. Very innovative thinking, Tom.:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hiscopilot, Combat and Wayne,

Thanks for the kind words! With all of your encouragement I hope to make the module look better in the near future.. Still got the station to build (right now I just have the bare platform), plus a backdrop so you guys don't see the rest of my den in the background LOL..

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow! That turned out really great! That passenger platform really looks good. Was that cut from foam board?

That Delaware GP38 looks awesome...really nice detailing.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
LongIslandTom said:
So the photo.. An HO-scale little-person railfan catching an Amtrak train pulling into the station of the fictitious Hudson Valley town of Tappen Landing, looking snappy for the traveling public!
I really would like to have one of those :)
I have never seen any Amtrak even as a model in real life but I like the way they look.
Thanks for sharing the pictures...

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Heya Hercdriver and Berraf,

Thanks for the kind words! The station platforms were castings of dental stone (the really hard plaster dentists use to make models of teeth from the impressions they take).

The top of the platforms were covered with very fine-grained joint compound to give it that poured concrete look.. I spread on the joint compound and smoothed it out with a straight edge, and painted it light grey after it set. The yellow safety stripe seems to be very common on station platforms on the commuter systems run by the MTA. Most station platforms I saw on the Metro North system seems to be 10 feet deep, so I made a styrene mold 35mm x 70mm (which translates to 10 ft x 20 ft in HO) and poured up 10 of those castings.

I did accidentally knock off a corner (visible in the photo), but that crumbling concrete look actually gives it some character so I'm still debating whether to patch it up or not. :D

I think you can use foamboard to do station platforms too yep.. It's really the joint compound that makes it look good. :thumb:

Berraf, you are in luck, for N-scalers at this moment has a greater choice than HOers when it comes to those GE passenger locomotives-- Kato has ALL the different Amtrak AMD103 versions available in N! The Phase III, IV and Vs all look very nice. Lately, it seems a lot of the Athearn HO AMD103s are out of stock.. The only ones I see in abundance in HO right now would be the Phase V's. :(

Amtrak actually owes a lot of its Northeast corridor motive power to Europe believe it or not.. The AEM7 electric locomotive has its origins in Sweden if I remember right. :thumb: And of course the new Acela trains (HHP8 and Acela trainset) are also heavily European-influenced. Very cool-looking and hopefully I can get a few of those in the future. :cool:

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Nice and quick

Tom,
I enjoyed the thread on attaching track and ballast in one step. I think you should send a couple of your pictures from that thread to Model Railroader, they have been attaching track on their project layouts with caulk for a while but are still using the wet method to secure the ballast. I think they would be interested to see how good your method looks and works as well as how quickly you were able to get it down.

2slim

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
LongIslandTom said:
The AEM7 electric locomotive has its origins in Sweden if I remember right.
You are so right and I´m so proud to be the owner of a couple of these locos.
In Sweden they are called "Rc" and it´s the most used loco in Sweden today for mixed use on electric lines.
From the beginning they were painted orange, then repainted to blue and today you can see green and black too. My favorite is the black Rc-locomotive which from the beginning were painted black because it should serve as loco for a rock´n roll tour called "Rock-tåget" (that is Rock train). Also the wagons were painted black for this special purpose.