Fill in this space:

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I am working on the industrial part of my layout. I want a inner city look. What should I put on this vacant lot that is by the spur? It should be big enough to hide the fact that there will be a track against the backdrop (not installed yet). Think inner city of Pittsburgh, etc.

Attachments

• layout1.jpg
    layout1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 284
  • layout2.jpg
    layout2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 289

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I don't know Pittsburgh, but I think industries are almost the same all around the globe. So here is my proposition:

For me this open space looks just perfect for a receiving/dispatching yard for trucks - something which you hardly ever see on a model RR layout. In most cases the turning space for trucks on a layout is way too small, so that you really couldn't turn a 18-wheeler around. But your space looks just right. So I would cover the whole place with somewhat patchy concrete or asphalt or even gravel and dirt, with some weeds growing here and there. And of course you can install some piles of boxes, crates, planks or whatever (as long as you still can turn those rigs around :D)

You could define the spur as a team track. I would also install a gantry crane across the track so that you can unload heavy machinery from a flat car.

As a last idea: I would rise a chain link fence around the property (with KEEP OFF and NO TRESPASSING signs) and perhaps a scale house near the gate.

Ron

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
I assume that you already have an industry planned for that spur?

The idea of a truck yard is cool, but is that going to disguise the backdrop? Maybe just another brick multi-story building with an interesting front, which might bring attention away from the backdrop?

---jps

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
What about something like a pallet manufacturer/refurbisher. It would make a nice variation, I think. All you'd need is a storey and a half building, and then put a bunch of lumber and pallets around it. A couple of trucks, and you could also use trains to bring in and ship out pallets.

Industrial areas aren't always packed with buildings. You could pave the area and have the track alongside of the paved area. Park a boxcar with an open door on the siding with a truck backed up against it getting loaded/unloaded. Throw in a loose stack of pallets, a 55 gallon drum fire to warm the hands, some LPs standing around, maybe a small diner off on one side. Turn the space into a detailed mini-scene! Ya think? ;)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi CSX, how about a couple of large oil tanks? They'd be big enough to hide the track in back and would create a variety of line when next to the straight buildings.
Ralph

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Great ideas

I am likely going to make a truck transfer lot near the front of the layout (not shown), but I like the pallet manufacture industry idea. I need a large building to disguise the background. Thanks, I'll post the pics in a few weeks.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Great ideas

I am likely going to make a truck transfer lot near the front of the layout (not shown), but I like the pallet manufacture industry idea. I need a large building to disguise the background. Thanks, I'll post the pics in a few weeks.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Heres something you can go off of. This picture is actually of a mainline going under a bridge in the way back and an enclosed industry bridge, presumed to be for a forklift, closer up.

Attachments

• backdrop idea 640x480.jpg
    backdrop idea 640x480.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 169