filetypes to send through email?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Willja67, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I wish to send some files to another member using email and even though my email service(hotmail) showed the the file as being attached to the document that I sent based on the file size I don't think the whole thing went through. I had the same trouble a few months ago and Wunwinglow said that you can only send certain file types through email. The file was a .igs and I thought that was on the okay list but I'm probably wrong. Anyone have a solution to this dilema? By the way the recipient can only work with a limited number of file types so the problem is compounded.
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Easy - make a .zip from your file and it will be transported through just about
    all mail systems. Mostly mail systems have restrictions on the kind (it's
    known as the MIME type) of attachment which is acceptable. Generally types such as .pdf and .zip are safe - the problem you've had is that your .igs may not be on the list of known and allowable file types and will be blocked.

There are a host of applications which can make .zips - seems
    to have gone off into commercial land - here's a free one or if that doesn't appeal here's a list of zip utilities:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Willja,

If I am not mistaken, Hotmail only allows attachments of 10 Mb or less. You can compress it into .rar format or zip it using winzip and that may help you. if its individual pages, you can go so far as to put the files in .pdf, then compress them. Or you may have to send 1 or 2 pages at a time zipped depending on file size.
    But like I said, I think hotmail allows a 10 Mb file size if you have a yahoo email account, you can send up to a 20 Mb file.
    but if you use yahoo and send a large file, the other person will need to be able to accept a large file too.

Hope this helps ya,

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW

ps: yahoo email accounts are freeand have a 2Gb storage limit.....alot more than msn.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Charlie and GW for that info. Another question if you please. Neither Rhino or Corel Draw will export as a pdf and that seems to be an industry standard. It also happens to be the preferred medium of Modelincard. Is there a way to convert the file to a pdf in order to send it?
  5. nx13688

nx13688 Member

What version of Corel Draw are you using? I have Draw 10 and it outputs PDF just fine (a function separate from Save As or Export). Otherwise, PDF 995 works, too.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Corel 9, 10, 11 and 12 output pdfs, although reading them sometimes throws up problems. There are lots of pdf creator programs that act as printers, intercepting the print stream output and converting that to a pdf file. It isn't fool-proof however, and sometimes complex fills, large bitmaps and unusual fonts can get a bit mangled. Also, seemingly simple images (red circle, outlined in blue, for example) end up as a red circle, an outline circle, a white circle and sometimes more, all stacked on top of each other. Of course, sometimes this is because the original design work was sloppy!

Opening other peoples pdf files sometimes works beautifully, but of course allows saving in cdr (or others) format, so leaves the file open to abuse. To prevent this, some pdf files will be locked or password protected. To lock your own files, you will need one of the more elaborate (read expensive) pdf creator programs, and for the best security, Adobe are best. But the MOST expensive!

Swings and roundabouts.....

Keep it simple, and clean, and it should work just fine with one of the freebie/cheap progs. Or Coreldraw. Works for me, anyway!

Tim P

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Willja,

Go to google and search for pdf 995 and download whats there. I think there are 2 optional downloads to go with it, i got all three downloads myself, and it will convert anything to a .pdf simply by bringing up the "work" on the screen, clicking the "file" button up top and going to "Print". when you click print you will see at the very top that it says "printer" then you will see a box that says "name". Click on the little arrow on the right side of the box, select pdf 995 and click print. It will automatically convert what ever page you have on screen into a .pdf file and you can name it.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thaks guys again for all the help. I went to help section of Corel Draw and found that it claims to be able to save in PDF but it won't say how actually to do it. In the saveas dialogue box there is the drop down menu with all the file types to be saved as but it wasn't there. In the export dialogue box there was a slightly different set of file types, but nowhere can I find pdf. I guess this question goes to wunwinglow as he is the most experienced user of Corel Draw that I know of in this forum. So where is the dang pdf option?

Never mind I figured it out.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member