Figured I'd better quit lurking and post....

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by wannabe-nscaler, Nov 4, 2007.

1. wannabe-nscaler

wannabe-nscaler New Member

...since we're going to be moving in a few weeks. Here's to hoping what I have so far survives the move. See if you can guess what my favorite line is....

Attached Files:

2. wannabe-nscaler

3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

That's a sharp-looking layout! You are planning on moving it whole, or salvaging what you can and starting over?

4. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

nice videos wannabe ,thanks for sharing. good luck on the move.
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Nice looking layout! I'm glad you showed us some photos of it. I hope it survives the move unscathed. I've always liked the IC orange and white. Their box cars inspired the scheme for my freelanced road. Good luck relocating! Keep us up to date!
  6. SeriousSam

SeriousSam Member

Very nice. Im guessing your favorite line is the one on that undecorated switcher? lol
  7. wannabe-nscaler

Thanks for the positive responses!! The layout is 3'(ish) X 8 sheet of polystyrene on a folding table. It should slide right off (along with most of the ground decor and scoopable kitty litter, er I mean ballast). The inside line is Bachmann EZ track. The outside line is what worries is soldered flex track and on our last move a couple sections came loose.
    My plan is to put it in the moving truck last, and on top of all our other boxes.

I grew up behind the Illinois Central yard in Bloomington Illinois, and the undecorated switcher is my winter project, funds permitting.

Thanks again!
  8. bill937ca

bill937ca Member

Very nice layout. Good luck on the move!! :thumb:
  9. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I'm always amazed at how much you can fit into such a small space with N-scale. That is a really nice set-up. If I didn't have such fat fingers and invested so much in HO already, I might be tempted to switch scales. Good luck with your move.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Wannabe: try pinning the track down. Use a pair of pins put in diagonally on each side of a tie -- the size of pins that come in shirts. (I figure about 20 shirts' worth on that layout) A pair of pins every foot or so, with more on curves.
  11. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Wow!!! That is a great looking layout. Yip, you undoubtedly love I.C.!
  12. wannabe-nscaler

Thanks 60103, I'll try that.
  13. ModelSteamTrains

ModelSteamTrains New Member

Dude... I absolutely love your layout. Good luck on your move and I hope nothing breaks. Just out of curosity, when you move a layout like that, what is the best way to do it? Take lots of pictures of the layout, remove all removable things, pin the tracks, and cover the boards with bubble wrap?
  14. nolink5750

nolink5750 Member

Just want to say good luck to you and the move. Nice looking layout. Where are you moving to?
  15. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

As far as I know, IC isn't a very popular road. Not one of my favorites, but it is refreshing to see the orange and white. (Shouldn't be that clean, though. :D )
  16. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Model Steam Trains, one should try and build a layout that it can be broken up into pieces, or more correctly, modules.

I'm not too sure of the length of that layout but it looks like it can fit in a removal truck quite easily.

Track should be laid and pinned when you initially start the layout.

Yip, one removes all removables and puts it in their own box.
  17. wannabe-nscaler

Moving to the Quad Cities area (That's north-western Illinois to us geographically challenged folk), job transfer. There's two great positives coming out of this move...

1. I'll be closer to my in-laws (if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy)
    2. I'll be further from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (been to the 500 23 years and counting...)

(Please note sarcasm)