Fiddlersgreen PT-22

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

Chip's got the genius for making simple and cool kits, that's for sure.

I threw this one together in about 90 minutes total time - the wheels are old Ikea® magnets (so it can double as a fridge magnet!)...the wire is .020 piano wire...and the glue is a mixture of superglue and Elmers® Tacky Glue.

Anyway, just thought you'd all like to see it...don't kid me, the workmanship is mediocre. But, the plane still turned out cool!

Attached Files:

2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

That's the magic of the FG models. They are really well designed to replicate complex forms simply. This one looks great and your build looks faultless to me!
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Looks pretty good to me. I see that the navigation lights are still wrong though (Port is red, Starboard is green), I mentioned that to Chip about 5 years ago
  4. Wily

Wily Member

Ideas for you...

I used adhesive aluminum tape - the kind used to patch ductwork and even aircraft - to hinge the rudder, elevator and curve the propellor.

Here's how - I cut a thin length suitable for hinging, stuck it to one surface of the elevator then superglued the top surface over it...doing the same to the other hinged surface, creating a "sandwich" of paper around the aluminum.

The propeller halves were glued front/back onto the aluminum tape...then cut around, finishing with a quick opposing twist.

Works very well!
  5. exzealot

exzealot Member

That really looks good, and I am not kidding you! Just curious: Why do you mix super glue with white glue? Is there an advantage??

6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Yea, I was kind of curious about the superglue tacky glue mixture? I'd like for you to describe its handling and working properties. Besides adhering piano wire, what other uses have you for the mixture?

That is a sweet little build, too!
  7. Wily

Wily Member

Funny how things work - I meant to write, "...was assembled using both Elmers® Tacky Glue and Super Glue.

It never occurred to me to share the fact that indeed, I was also mixing Super Glue and Elmers, too!

The mixture of the two glues happened by accident while building another model a while ago - I used the oft-used technique of soaking a piece of paper in Super Glue to give it rigidity.

However, in carelessness, I didn't allow the glue to completely dry, then dabbed a small glob of Elmers onto a place that had an equal-sized drop of CA (Super Glue).

I noticed the CA had a peculiar effect on the TG (Tacky Glue) in that it acted as a coating and caused the TG to congeal and, for a moment, get rubbery.

You may know that CA glue is "activated" by moisture...and TG is a Poly Vinyl glue...and the two together form a gap-filling, rubbery epoxy-like stuff that dries a little more slowly than CA.

On the PT-22, the CA/TG cocktail is used to hold the magnets inside the wheel spats, adhere the fillets to the fuselage and also make the simulated leather pad on the cockpit/headrest combing behind the pilot's seat.

THIS ALL BEING STATED, my experiment has led met to a conclusion that CA glues are formulated differently by brand. One popular brand name (forget it right now, but it comes in a light green bottle and is sold at Hobby Town USA stores) does not play as well as an el-cheapo, "Five Star" brand found at Walgreens.

Experiment at your own peril.

I'm rather surprised though that no one has commented on the use of aluminum tape. THAT'S the real discovery...imagine backing paper with a formable, bendable metal to help a flat piece of paper conform and retain its shape...

Attached Files:

8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

You weren't specific about that particular aspect of the use of aluminum tape. But, now that you mention it, I think I'll give it a try. I have been shaping paper into compound curves with certain limitations. I'll have to see if aluminum backing tape increases the degree to which I can curve paper. Thanks for the idea. I know I would not have thought of it on my own.
  9. Wily

Wily Member

Glad you have found the idea appealing.

I bought a Sopwith Camel kit last year that will be the subject of a more comprehensive test - specifically on the wing.

Right now, I'm using it to line the fuselage of an old, hand-drawn-type kit of a WWII airplane in the hopes that it will help form a more uniform shape without the use of formers.

Once the process proves itself out, I'll use it on a kit I bought from PMI of a Vultee "Vanguard" - nice, nice kit, but I suspect the hand-inked artwork just a bit.

Anyway, I'm sure the purists who read this will be offended by the idea of mixing METAL with PAPER (LOL). But, my craftsmanship fairly demands that I cheat. Often.
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I was I was once a plastic purist until I finally realized that it is just modeling! About the only pure art form I can think of is sculpting in stone. Everything else lends itself to innovation.

BTW, you can make your own sticky aluminum foil by purchasing foil at the craft store along with the brush on adhesive. It works incredibly well and allows you to use a different thickness of aluminum. It will work on household foil, too!
  11. exzealot

exzealot Member

Thanks for the explanation on the glue and tape. Don't worry about offending the paper modeling "purists". Just the other day, I used balsa wood to stiffen the inside of a frame rail for a paper truck! I even use (plastic) sprue for grabhandles; Plastic! To some people, that's like putting catsup on icecream. But the results justify the means.

12. Wily

Wily Member

Well! That's rather brainy...I'll give it a shot! Thank you!
  13. bclemens

bclemens Member

The way I see it, card modeling is pretty much just directed scratch building. Whatever you can use to get the job done is OK with me. By the way, I think the magnet in the wheels idea is brilliant! What better way to display your creations than on the fridge. At least in my house they'd get a lot of viewing ;)