Fiddler's Green Albatros DVa

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sidewinder81777, May 14, 2009.

1. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

OK this is my first biplane. altogether im happy with it except some sloppy glueing on the struts (they gave me fits, any tips would be appreciated :mrgreen:).
    Will try to do better on my next bipe which, unless something major changes between now and then, will be a Fokker DVII also from FG.

2. CaptMike

CaptMike New Member

Nice work! I see that you even made some of the control surfaces separate. My first biplane was also an FG model (the Fokker DVII you are about to build next). As for struts, I've now started putting a sliver of bamboo in the them. This does two things: 1) it makes them stronger and 2) it provides a tiny stub on each end of the strut that I can use to connect them to the wings. I just put a tiny hole in the wings where the struts connect, and it allows me to use a very small controlled amount of glue. It also automatically aligns them too. The wings go on with a lot less stress that way.
  3. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

I like it! and got tons of bamboo growing right outside. can just go find a dry piece and cut all the slivers I want :D
  4. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Looks fine, great actually, especially for your first bi-wing! I love the Albatross DVa. Nice lines to it.
    The bamboo is a good idea - I've been using fine wire I bought at the hobby store.
    Either method adds strength and eases the construction of the bi wings.

I'm just finishing up my first bi-wing also, the FG Airco Dh2. Next bi-wing will be the Caudron G3 or G4 from ECardmodels scales to 1:24.

When you build the Fokker, please take and posts pics as you go along on it. We love this stuff!
  5. cmags

cmags Guest

Well done on the Albatros! I see you also built my scale cube - glad you find it useful. I haven't built a biplane in a long time - the last I built was the Sopwith Camel back in high school, but I still have a pic of it. It's funny, I thought it came out so clean at the time, but looking at it now, I know I could improve upon it a lot! sign1 Wish I still had it, no clue where it and a bunch of other models from that timeframe went to tho after a couple moves.

6. Wily

Wily Member

Nice work!! I've built that kit and am impressed with how straight you kept the wings - I usually have to use thin plastic or popsicle sticks to keep wings've got the touch.