Fictional Railraod Idea

Dansco

Any Ayn Rand readers here?

I'm re-reading her book "Atlas Shrugged" and realize that there is a LOT of cool ideas for a layout! Basic era seems to be a stylized 1940's but on the decline. diesel power is the biggest thing going, but due to the complexities of the story there are wood burners and everything in between.

This could be a very artistic art-deco layout with lots of industry etc. Theres oil, coal, and copper mines specifically mentioned in the book.
Other cool bits include, foundry's pouring metal in the night and the lead character is nicknamed "slug" for the hot burning coal fire in a firebox!

Lets here it for Taggert International running on Readern Metal Rails!

Thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
stylized 1940's
- - -
This could be a very artistic art-deco layout

The art-deco/machine age influence, especailly with respect to the railroad, was pretty much taken down by the one-two hits of The Depression and World War 2...

But a cool look it is/was, and a art-deco themed layout would be a visual stunner. Imagine the streamlined trains and automobiles, the art deco skyscrapers and craftsman-style houses. Blimps and sleek airliners in the sky... While there were other railroads with streamlined fleets, I think NYC's are probably the best known - Commodore Vanderbuilt (later #5445, I think), the Empire State Express, 20th Century Limited, and so on.

Some visual references could include period movies like Metropolis, and recent ones like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Other resources could include the 1939 World's Fair in Chicago (I think the last major display of streamlined steam engines) or like events.

Great stuff! Endless possibilities... ;) :D

Andrew

Dansco

MasonJar: Your reading my mind! :) Thanks for the detail. Please continue the "stream of conscience-ness" here..

Buildings like the prows of ships
neon lights reflected in chrome
Giant machines with exposed gears and pistons

railohio

Heh. I'm working on synthesizing Atlas Shrugged with Frank Norris' The Octopus for my B.A. senior research. Probably ought to get cracking on the writing soon...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
MasonJar: Your reading my mind! :) Thanks for the detail. Please continue the "stream of conscience-ness" here..

Buildings like the prows of ships
neon lights reflected in chrome
Giant machines with exposed gears and pistons

Actually, the wikipedia entries are pretty good. Try:

machine age
craftsman style
art deco
world's fair - 1939 New York and 1933 Chicago "Century of Progress"
Raymond Loewy
streamliner
streamline moderne
Henry Dreyfuss

Lots of these are cross-linked to each other, and to more (and more!) interesting articles.

Andrew

Mountain Man

The art-deco/machine age influence, especailly with respect to the railroad, was pretty much taken down by the one-two hits of The Depression and World War 2...

But a cool look it is/was, and a art-deco themed layout would be a visual stunner. Imagine the streamlined trains and automobiles, the art deco skyscrapers and craftsman-style houses. Blimps and sleek airliners in the sky... While there were other railroads with streamlined fleets, I think NYC's are probably the best known - Commodore Vanderbuilt (later #5445, I think), the Empire State Express, 20th Century Limited, and so on.

Some visual references could include period movies like Metropolis, and recent ones like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Other resources could include the 1939 World's Fair in Chicago (I think the last major display of streamlined steam engines) or like events.

Great stuff! Endless possibilities... ;) :D

Andrew

Absolutely, and history needn't be a factor - the railroad can mirror history the way Dansco sees it.

After all, no one questions Batman's totally imaginary, brooding Gotham City.

Gonna be a lot of scratchbuilding...especially structures. But very cool! Maybe scratchbuild a Tucker automobile for those highways, too! :mrgreen: