FG Dell Collection Fokker DVII at 1/72 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Jim Krauzlis, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Everyone!

I just finished building one of the Fokker DVII models from Fiddler's Green John Dell collection. This was a real fun build! This just happens to be my favorite WWI airplane, and this series from FG is great!

Here's the way it turned out...

Graphics on this model are great, the only problem I found was in the strut templates, they were a little short, but that could have been my doing.

I hope to get a chance to build a few other from this series, using some of the experience I learned in this build to change a few things.

Anyway, hope you try these models, they are really a pleasure to build!

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Amazing Jim! I was just building this same plane, all I have left is one machine gun to install.:grin:

My doesn't look as good as yours though:cry:

I had the same problem with the forward struts too! So it just might not be you!

Thanks for the pic!

3. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, John!

I'm glad you like the way she came out, and hope you're enjoying your build...be sure to post some photos if you can.

Here's some more pics, now that the imageshack is up and running again.

I tried to add the control lines and some other little bits. The next build from this series I should add the machine guns before I put on the upper wing. I might even add some detail to the engine, perhaps borrowing some parts from the Zio Fokker DVII that I also have.

Here's another view:

Not too happy with the wires in the undercarriage...seemed to slacken up a bit, probably from the handling when adding some details...guess I should have added those last.

In this view you hopefully can see the step and grab holds I added on the rear underside section, as well as some of the control horns.

Here you can probably see those slack undercarriage wires:

Okay, one final view, for the heck of it....

Well, that's about it for now. I might try the Zio version next, or maybe another from this series, time will tell. Gotta get the Krefeld finished first, and back to Connie. Meanwhile, thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

4. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hi Jim,

Very nice build.
    Do you know what scale is this?

5. Texman

Texman Guest

The thread title says 1/72....hmmm
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker D VII (and D VIII) by Fiddlers Green

Hi Jim,

What a beautiful build! lt looks really authentic with the step, the aileron and rudder horn controls, the subtle wiring and the round little handles at the rear of the fuselage - expert work at this small scale!!! I especially like your beautiful wing tips. I quite agree, this series from FG is very nice, indeed. I must get this fine Fokker, too!
    I am building the Fokker D VIII (or E. V), the parasol-winged monoplane model, (also from FG) at the moment - my absolute favourite WW I airplane! ("The Flying Razor" never really took part in The Great War, where it was supposed to replace the D VII at the end of the war). Original planes (or at least parts of them) still exist, in the Netherlands, I believe, and fine replicas have been made.
    (For beautiful large photos of all aircraft, check out:
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search/ )
    The Fokker D-8 from FG is a quite simple and the fit of the parts is in some places not so perfect (which is noticeable if you enlarge it) but I´m trying to modify some of the parts with the aid of a Profile Publications booklet concerning this Warbird. For example, I´ve replaced the tailplane rudder which hasn´t got quite the right rounded shape (it´s a tad too narrow) and the firewall behind the engine needs a couple of extra cardboard strips to fit snugly against the inside of the fuselage. Another small problem is that if you cut and fold the fuselage, the angle of the tailplane is slightly forward-down slanting. This is somewhat difficult to correct because if you cut away some material from the very end of the fuselage, it will become too low (the back of the fuselage on this plane was much higher than on the D VII or the Dr 1 triplane) and the tailplane rudder will not fit properly. I will solve this in some way or another, though.
    The colouring and patterns are very nice, one of them with grinning, menacing eyes on the engine cowling (two versions + a LARGE one) and it is a bargain at the low price (2,95 $)! I can really recommend it to the Fokker enthusiasts! By the way, FG´s new Fokker T-2 (the huge coast-to-coast freighter) is also a very good one - also highly recommended!

Long live ze Red Baron - down whiz ze Engländer!
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm This is what the engine cowling looks like...:mad:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Jim,

Great looking build. I dont see anything wrong with it but I noticed you mentioned the "slack" undercarraige "wires". Heres a tip I have posted before that may help you on your next build if you would like to try it.
    Go to the sporting goods dept. at any store and pick up some monofiliment fishing line and use it as "guywires". Use CA to glue one end to the model, then pull taught and glue the other end. Trim with fingernail clippers. Then take a lit cigarette and pass it back and forth below the "wire", this will cause the nylon filiment to shrink causing it to tighten up. Then its only a matter of "painting" it with a paint pen, magic marker or whatever "paint" you normally use.
    The fishing line comes in many different diameters so you can find alomst any diameter to match the scale model you are building.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW

8. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, guys!:)

@ Tirta: As Texman notes, she is indeed 1/72 scale...I'm trying to keep my airplanes all in the same scale if possible for comparison.

@ Bengt: Thanks so much, but I'm hardly an expert, as the wiring shows.:wink: I used some photos I found on line of replicas, rebuilt surviving airplanes and some later builds of a similar design to get a few of the details I added to this FG model, and found some other things I will try to incorporate in the next version, such as the struts and engine details. I played around with the idea of adding interior formers to help get the shape of the fuselage right, as a prior build of the original FG model (the "LO!" version) came out with a skewed fuselage. I then learned to check the alignment of the after edges because if they are not right they pull the fuselage to one side or the other..duh! The wing construction takes a little time, even though it's a relatively simple construction, which has been commented on in another thread here: http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3307

I wholeheartedly agree these are superb bargains for the airplane modeler looking for a relatively simple build with great graphics...that's true about all the Fiddler's Green line, I feel. I hope to get around to build the DVIII and DRI as well at some point...that grinning cowl is indeed a very interesting detail...as well as some of the other WWI craft they offer.

@Greg: I did consider that trick, but the thought of my plane catching fire in the final stages was just too much to contemplate...okay, so I'm a chicken.:grin: Seriously, that's a great tip, I honestly just forgot it....:oops: I like using glue stiffened line at this scale, it is easy to work with (measuring, trimming, etc.), but what I did wrong was putting on the undercarriage wires too early in the build...next time it will be one of the last things I do to avoid having it slacken up from handling...live and learn.

9. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Jim

Just gets better every time

10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Looks good! Keep up the good work.
  11. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

As usual a great job! What size is the Fokker DVII?

Must be hard changing from ship mode to aircraft mode.

12. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Charlie, Dave and Barry!:)

Thanks for your very kind words. She's 1/72 scale...I reduced the original to fit a scale I like to build at and it matches some of the other builds of airplanes I have done...and those that I also plan to build.:wink:

Tell you what, the first airplane I built, also a FG model, gave me great admiration for the airplane modelers; lots more compound and extreme curves to deal with. When I built the Marek Plz-7, I gained a lot of experience using internal formers, which is a whole other area of skill that you need to develop which you don't experience with ship models, at least not the type that is used with aircraft.

I wager you know what I mean, Barry...you built some awesome airplanes a while back, and actually prompted me to try my hand at the Marek design...I believe you also built a few of his models, and it's certainly quite a bit different from ships!

They are addictive, however, so be warned!:grin: