few pics around austin

J&A_RR

these are at the local amtrak station right downtown. the station is old and not much at all to look at. the boys and I had time to kill so we watched the train come in from san antonio on the way to chicago.
DCP_4149.jpg

Livesteam

nice, at the amtrak station near me, about 30 min away you will eaither have to watch from the inclosed room or go out in the parking lot and the parking lot does not have a good view, lol not the best views.

J&A_RR

union pacific uses the same track going through downtown and past the station, you can walk right up to the train as it comes through at maybe 10mph. it's about thirty minutes from me but we'll have to get some close up shots. the track also crosses the downtown lake with a pedestrian bridge at the same place. pretty neat setup they've made.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Neat photos guys. Hope the steam engine comes back soon. Just the sight of the tender makes me drool.

J&A_RR

austin white lime factory

here is a local industry.. if anyone wants more detailed shots let me know

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
What do they make or produce at that factory guys? I would like to see more photos if you have them.

J&A_RR

that is the austin white lime plant
I can get some better pics for you but today we just did a drive by.

Pooh Bah
John: that is called a split-switch derail, and it's supposed to derail a train, if they run past a red signal. It protects the line that crosses over the one we're looking at.
Is it on a spur to that industry? It would be protecting the line from cars that get loose.
Often there's a piece of rail inside the tracks to keep anything that's derailed from getting too far off.

J&A_RR

both tracks we are looking at are main lines that I know of, the cross track after the switch goes through the industry off to the left of the image and would lead to the second picture I posted of the plant.

Pooh Bah
There are some interesting details at that derail.
The switch stand for it is mounted on onlt one extended tie.
There is a little metal housing on the tie, attached to the switch rail. probably a detector to tell what position the derail is in.
Another device, mounted on two ties. Looks like a phone cabinet and something above it -- could be a signal repeater or a solar cell?
It looks as if the railroad wants to know about if anyone closes the derail and runs a train over it. Probably also linked to signals on the line that crosses.