Ferroequinology?!?!

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Hmmm :eek: NEVER heard of it!!...found this term in Brian Schmidt's (hope you don't mind Brian) profile and being a big fan of words did some searching on it, lots of train sites but no real definition of where this term was derived from.

I'm guessing....

Ferro...ferrous...IRON

equin...equine...HORSES

ology...the study of?

Just thought this was interesting <shrugs>

Maybe I oughta to quit thinking and get back down in the basement and work on the layout.....lol :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Tomboygirl.....Its "bastard" Latin:eek:....I seem to recall that someone "coined" it back in the 50's or 60's in one of the railfan magazines to give a "fancy" name to railfans and those who collect railroad items....Oh me am I getting old!!! :D :D :D

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Ferroequinology(ist)

Yes, it's been around since at least the fifties, because I started calling myself a Ferroequinologist back then when I was in my teens. Don't recall where I first picked it up, however. Maybe this would be an interesting thing for someone to research.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Then, there is the incurable disease, "Ferroequinitis", which instantly infects children, the first time they touch a model train.
The primary symptom is the uncontrolable urge to collect scale model locomotives, and run them on scale track, usually hidden away in the basement. This is not a " closeted" disorder, closets are too small for the layout.
Infection usually occurs at the base of a Christmas tree, or at a "Train show".
:D :D :D :D :D

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
There's also the related but equally incurable condition known as Ferroequinitis Hi-Railis. In this one, the patient has an almost insatiable desire to push buttons and make small people and buildings do tasks or make vaguely train-sounding noises. They crave and desire LOTS of noise and have a burning need to smell smoke, ozone or otherwise. Many have been known to change direction 60 times a second.

Wait a minute, i think my boss may have this one.........