Ferrari F1 2000

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Rutek 63, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

[Free Model #3] Ferrari F1 2000

Hi everybody,
    Did anybody start building anything for the Free Model # 3 competition yet? Or, am I first one? So, anyway, here is my thread and here is the link to the model:

I choose the Ferrari F1 2000 1:30 scale. I think that the red color of that car bring on that choice. There is something special about the red sports cars in my mind. I can’t take my eyes off them. But my excitement about building that red Ferrari lasted only until I compared the print of the model to the color of a real Ferrari. That printed red was nothing like that vibrant uniform red Ferrari color.
    2000 Ferrari F1-2000 Photographs. High Resolution, Wallpapers, Destop Images.

I tried a few different settings on my printer but I was still unsatisfied, even after I sprayed the best printout with a few layers of lacquer. Finally I decided to enrich that red with a red colored pencil and then spray it with a few layers of the Workable Fixatif. On the picture below you can easy recognize the area of the colored pencil enrichment. The other thing I did was cut of the tabs.

On the back site of the main body part, in the spot where the bend has to be made, I cut out two grooves in to the cardstock, put glue in the bend and then glued into the right position.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That’s all for now. I see you soon.
  2. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Looks great so far. Be sure to have a link to this thread on the main contest thread. Good Luck!
  3. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

Thanks Toddlea!

Some time ago I discovered that masking tape is a perfect tool for paper modeling. It’s very much like third hand. You can temporarily hold parts of the model together with it. However if you do that, remember to use some fixatif or other clear finish first.
    Once I had the tape in the place, I dabbed the glue on the underside of the edges. It’s my version of edge gluing. I didn’t put any independent tabs. I find that white glue doesn’t need any help making a strong union.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I decided to reinforce the rear main body part with some extra cardstock because it will be holding some other parts on the top.
    On the inside edge of the driver’s seat opening I glued a strap of paper as a filler, and I sanded it to the right shape. I hope my pictures explain it better then my words.

When I got the opening into the right shape, I painted the edge with red Testors paint

4. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Some time ago I've build the McLaren-Mercedes from that site.
    Your model looks very good so far, I'm waiting to see the follwing pictures.
  5. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Thats the best tape for what your doesnt hold very well to walls, i can testify to that by all the paint that seeped thru!!!!! it might take off some flat or gloss coat though!
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looking great! I love seeing Ferrari's, even if I don't root for them to win races so much lately (always a fan of the underdogs ;) ).
  7. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'd better get moving
  8. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

That Mercedes was my second choice. If my Ferrari comes out ok I’ll also build that Mercedes.

A very simple solution to the problem of tape pulling off paint is to heat the tape with a hot air using the hair drier. The glue will get soft and the tape will pull of easily.

I hope this one won’t be the underdog ;)

I saw your Scorpion. You have nothing to worry about and plenty of time.

Guys, thank you for positive feedback. Now I’m waiting for you all to catch up. So, start your engines gentleman. :driver1:
  9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Thanks for the feedback on the Scorpion, that was a fun little project.

BTW I was thinking about what you said about not being happy with the "Ferrari red" that came out of your printer. Here's something that you might want to try on you next project... Instead of using white card stock, try printing on a cream color (not ivory that's going to be too dark). I think the cream paper adds an extra bit of warmth and richness to the colors (especially reds) without being too overpowering. Most of the time you're not even aware that it's not white paper to begin with, but I don't know if I would want to use it for this particular model or not since it has the large bright white reverse Marlboro logos that are so prominent on the Ferrari. Just print out a sheet to see what it looks like anyway. It may give you the red color that you're looking for.

As far as my Panzer goes, it's been a very busy weekend around here with the kids activities and all, but fortunately I was able to find time to print out the sheets. (made 3 copies of each, I plan to do a lot of layering on this one). Now I just need to find a couple AA batteries for the camera and I'll be good to go. Hopefully I'll be able to cut into it some time tomorrow.

I wish you, and everyone else success on your builds.

10. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

I printed it on the card stock of a different colors. Your idea is brilliant and the red color looked good, but the logos changed to something I don’t like. So, this time I’ll stay with my colored pencil technique. Thanks any way, it is good tip.

I reinforced the inside of the model with 1mm card board.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also added the driver’s seat and a few other parts.

Regards, Peter
  11. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

Hi everybody

In my previous model I colored the edges of the parts before I glued them together. In the case of the Ferrari I didn't . The sports cars have rounded edges, that is why I first glued the parts together, then I sanded the edges to give them approximately right shape and then I paint them.
    The trick is to match the color closely enough, so the transition between painted areas and the printed color are unnoticeable.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And painted

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

This is a great tutorial!! keep up the good work!
  13. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi Rutek.

I'm looking forward to this build. I've printed this model but not built it yet. Looking at your pictures I can already see I'll learn a some useful stuff.

As for the colour, from memory the original Ferrari's had a deep "blood red". This all changed when Marlboro became the main sponsor and the colour moved towards the red/orange we see today. The printing on coloured card stock is an excellent idea from HeavyKevie although I'd go down the photoshop route in order to deepen the look of the red/orange. I guess I'd need the designers permission to do that.

Anyway, good luck with the build.

Cheers JTF
  14. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

Thank you for picking up here guys

TJF, your idea of deepening the color of the model using photoshop is just great. I never thought of it because I don't use photoshop. I know the tricks of the trade of colored pencil technique, that is why I used them. But thank you for sticking the idea of the photoshop in my mind, I will consider it for next model.

As for designers permission to play with the model design I don't think we need their OK as long as we don't distribute it for profit.
  15. artistone

artistone Member

I just completed that model. Will post pics as soon as i finish the 'details'
  16. scooter31572

scooter31572 Guest