Ferrari Engine design and build

retunga

Designer
Hi All

It has been some time since I have done a post of what I am up to,
Other than the V-Max build that is happening slowly, I am also busy with quite an interesting design, Yes it is a engine from a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano,
I am busy with the design work at the moment and it is coming along well.

Here is a few pictures of the R&D work. :thumb:

engine_ac.jpg

Starting concept.

ferrari599.jpg

The engine in question. V12 F140C Power horse.

ferrari-f430-engine.jpg

The baby brother that will be worked on later but with many of the same parts.

WIP_CRANK_1.jpg

WIP_CRANK_2.jpg

WIP_CRANK_3.jpg

WIP_COMPLETE_1.jpg

The blocks in front of the engine is 10x10x10mm cubes for the size what what it is looking like at the moment.

the Block is about 90% complete, the timing for the engine is about 60% complete and crank is about 98% complete just the asembly jig to be worked out.

Enjoy
R

Z

Zathros

Oh my are you actually going to build this and release it!! This is simply amazing! I will follow this with great interests! Excellent!! :)

retunga

Designer
Yip I am, I am going to release this design but that is still llllooonnnggg way off, the biggest problem I have is finding pictures of the engine in a open form, what I am going to do is work a lot with the cut away drawings that are out there and try get it as close as I can, if it is only 80% close that is go for me, as the main idea this the functioning of the engine, than trying to get it 100% sort on as one would need to measure up the real thing and that is not going to happen or drawings of the engine just happen to find there way on to the internet then that would be a different story.

The Head at the mount and the timing is the next major working point but it all be sorted in time.

:)

N

niebla de fuego

This will be very, very, very, very interesting indeed.
Will follow our work :)

retunga

Designer
Here is a picture of the crank setting jig so that when get to building the crank and the block this jig will be used to set the spacing and timing of the pistons and so on.

wip_crank_4.jpg

Z

Zathros

If you could post the exact engine model all the data, I will try and hunt for pics, you never know. This is a big project. I can understand it being a looooong way off, but I can also understand it being yours, if you know what I mean! I know you can pull this off! :)

retunga

Designer
The only details that I have and that is from the owners manual:
Type: F140C, V12, Bore 92mm, stroke 75.2mm, Total dis 5999cc.

The firing order of the 599 engine is different to that of the Ferrari Enzo, 575, 550 engines.

The 599 Firing order from the ferrari owners webpage is:
1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10

The Enzo firing order as per the owners manual:
1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9
The Enzo engine type is the F140B V12
The Enzo engine I do have a few pictures but not really much though.

R

retunga

Designer
Time for an update on the V12 design, there has been some delays due to PC HDD crash and so on but here goes:

- Bell housing is done with a hand crank for setting the timing
- The flywheel ring gear is now complete as well as the motor that will power the rotation of the engine.
- I have now completed the the electronic controller for the motor so that it can power the motor with the following features:
- The use of AC and DC can now be used to power it with any DC type of connection, meaning that if you power it up and the + and - are not in the correct order it will not matter, and it AC power can also be used, in both cases the input supply voltage does need to be 17VDC or 17VAC
- The is an over load protection circuit in place so that if the motor starts drawing high current it will stop it from blowing up and setting the model alight, legal thing. The current limit is set to 1 Amp
- The circuit is adjustable to work up to 12V dc should the motor that I designed the model around is not obtainable in ones area and 12 motors of a different size available it can be used.
- there is LED's setup as to simulate the spark plugs firing.
- At the moment I am busy working the all of the micro switch's into the engine.

I will post a screen shot or three when all the timing work is complete.

R

Z

Zathros

That's not so bad, from an electronics point of view. Not sure how it's packaged, but not hard to read. :)

retunga

Designer
Next update, now that the circuit diagram and circuitery is now designed, the timing for the spark plug lights can now be completed

timing_1.jpg

I have not shown the wires but the is an opening for the wires to move back the circuit board.

R

Z

Zathros

Looks fantastic, this is quite that challenge you have taken on. :)

retunga

Designer
Well it is time for an update on the design of the engine, at the moment I am busy with the cyclinder head of the engine, this is where I am at the present moment in time.

head_part_1.jpg

The springs are going to be made from steel wire, this is most likely one a of the few times that paper will not be used to make the engine work in it's correct maner, I have thought about using the Ducati valve setup, but that will not work with the idea of it been a Ferrari engine but if I do, do a new design of an engine that is not brand related then I will use that valve timing and mechanics of the engine.

R

retunga

Designer
Here is the next set of updates to the design of the engine, the cyclinder head is now complete.

head_finish_1.jpg

head_finish_2.jpg

head_part_2.jpg

head_part_3.jpg

head_engine_1.jpg

head_engine_2.jpg

head_engine_3.jpg

The next part is now getting the timing of the valves correct and flat packing the parts needed to build the heads

:mrgreen::thumb:

R

Z

Zathros

What are you modeling this in? To be honest, a CAD model of this is impressive in itself! If you could animate it, WOW! Seeing you build it into a paper model, Holy Cr@p Batman!! :)

retunga

Designer
Zathros I am using AutoCAD to do the modeling and from there I am also flat packing it in AutoCAD and for the more interesting part I am using Pepakura Designer 3 to get those shapes out.
I may do a animation later but for now that is in the bucket list for the model.

I have the following part still to complete for the engine design:
1:- Inlet manifolds
2:- the Exhaust no longer than 30mm
3:- Timing cover
4:- Inlet air box Assembly and conection to to the inlet manifold
5:- Water pipe flanges
6:- Fuel injection system
7:- misc. things that will only seen when the above list is done.

At the moment I am hoping to get the building part of this project going by February March next year.

I want to do the manifold and exhausts first then I will flat pack the whole head.

:)
R

Z

Zathros

I could do those exhaust manifolds, but I sure as heck wouldn't want too!! I just picked up Rhino3D 5.0, it's incredible!