favorite tool?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by roch, Jan 27, 2008.

1. roch

roch Member

What is your favorite tool when working on your layout or trains that you use the most and just can't live without?

Mine is a flashlight. No matter how careful I am or how many lights from different angles I have going I always manage to drop something very small that never lands where I thought it may have. wall1 I keep it in my pocket so as not to step on lost whatever while trying to figure out where I put the flashlight. :mrgreen:

2. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

I like my hammer. It can be used for kit bashing, removing screws, working on scenery.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

In my case it is always a tool that I have and need, but can't find at the moment. Of course, if I go out and buy a replacement tool, I'm guarranteed to find it right after the new tool is purchased!
  4. CRed

CRed Member

In order....

Reading Glasses
    Jewelers Screwdrivers
    Dremel and a Flash Light.

5. roch

roch Member

I hear that loud and clear. :eek: That is why I found the brightest flashlight I could and am going over every square inch of my work area looking for lost parts before I shop vac it. I am most certain that I have a missing rail car sucked up in the vac and a bunch of tiny parts. wall1 The car I will look for. The others are in railroad purgatory. :mrgreen:

6. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Right now it is rail cutting pliers. Another favorite is my set of jewler's files (that are getting dull :()

7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

My Cordless Drill :) I alway find some use for it
  8. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I just got a pair of spiking pliers. Oh my goodness...I cannot tell you how much easier these suckers have made my life when spiking rail. So nice.
  9. scubadude

scubadude Member

A bottle opener!! sign1sign1sign1
  10. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

11. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I should have thought of that one!!!
  12. scubadude

scubadude Member

13. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Digital Calipers.
  14. roch

roch Member

A fully stocked fridge with a bottle opener built in. Behind the bar of course. aussie

But seriously, glue of some sort, paint and everything involved with that.

I know that is more than one thing, but what the heck.

15. roch

roch Member

My new favorite tool is something most people are born with. Also pretty dificult to misplace. :mrgreen:

My fingers! sign1
    Great for just about everything. Best thing I have used to spread plaster with. Cleanup is a snap. he he he
  16. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

17. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Milktart, cookies, Coca- Cola, Friends...

I don't have one favourite tool, but I hate not being able to go on because I don't have a certain tool etc...
  18. roch

roch Member

Go on, enjoy and list all you want. My favorite tools change from day to day. Have fun, this is a happy thread. :wave:

19. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I have a 30+yr old craftsman kit waycar kit. The instructions read:
    "I'm not even going to begin to give a step by step procedure. This kit is not for beginners. Should troubles arise, an advanced modeler might want to consider switching to the harder stuff".

So, it's even called out in some instructions to have your bottle opener handy!
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member