• 4-8-4

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • 4-6-6-4

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Other (turbines, 4-4-4s, etc...)

Votes: 8 10.7%

• Total voters

Russ Bellinis

NKP I know what you mean about Bachmann plus 4-8-4's. I have a Santa Fe Northern Bachmann + and it had trouble pulling itself around the modular layout. I kept adding weight to the boiler until I burned out the motor before I realised that the problem was those awful springs Bachmann used on the lead and trailing trucks.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Santa Fe Northern?? I've never heard of that railroad before, interesting.

Btw, I know that on some model diesels, that have all wheel drive, cannot move if one of the drive shafts are removed from one bogie's gear train.

b28_82

Mine would be the Northern or more SP's GS4 4-8-4 most commonly used for the daylight trains. And speaking of the daylight passenger set coming out from Precision Craft/Broadway Limited; when are they gonna stop pushing back the date!!! I wish they'd do it like Kato is doing their N scale version. Announce it in September and you'll get it in Nov/Dec timeframe.

nkp174

Mine would be the Northern or more SP's GS4 4-8-4 most commonly used for the daylight trains. And speaking of the daylight passenger set coming out from Precision Craft/Broadway Limited; when are they gonna stop pushing back the date!!! I wish they'd do it like Kato is doing their N scale version. Announce it in September and you'll get it in Nov/Dec timeframe.

Will it have the articulated cars like the original?

b28_82

Will it have the articulated cars like the original?

Yes, I don't know how well Kato will model theirs as far as details but at least they're going to have articulated cars like the original. Broadway/PCM will be very detailed I'm sure as their past works have proved themselves.

Jake

Russ Bellinis

I think he meant a Santa Fe 4-8-4 (the most common name for the 4-8-4 type was 'Northern', although there were other names, mostly in the South U.S.)

I think the "Northern " got it's designation because either the Northern Pacific or the Great Northern was the first railroad to use that type of locomotive. In the sameway the 2-10-2 became known as the "Santa Fe" and the 2-10-4 became know as the "Texas" for the T & P. A notable exception in naming a type of locomotive was the NYC who refused to believe anyone else could run a RR. They named their 4-8-4s "Niagaras."

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
In my opinion, if it's Kato, it's good.

Kato is comparable to Marklin and is the Rolls Royce of two rail models, American models anyway with Roco in there for German and Hornby for UK.

Sorry, going off my point- KATO's the best!

Triplex

I think the "Northern " got it's designation because either the Northern Pacific or the Great Northern was the first railroad to use that type of locomotive.
NP. The Northern was developed from the Mountain to fit a larger firebox for the low-quality NP coal.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Triplex as a matter of interest in your signature you mension a 2-8-8-8-2. Both a steam and an electric one, any pics of them to post?

nkp174

Nobody else seems to get this many comments about their username!

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_vgn100.jpg

Maybe I should remove the disambiguation, since it seems few people know of the electric.

I think that'd be good. I was quite familiar with the Virginian prior to finding this forum...having even chased the road...and I'd never heard that nickname for it...or seen it my book on the Virginian...prior to your sig. I don't doubt it to have been called that...but it is obscure.

I must say though, those were far cooler than their streamlined electrics.:mrgreen:

I thought was cool that MTH is building a model of your user name.

chooch.42

Triplex, did you see what's coming from MTH in February ??? Dec. ad in MR, in HO, DCC, Proto-Sound 3.0 - and somewhat less than your first-born $$$ !! Three Erie and 1 Virginian version ! Mike must like you ! Bob C.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Triplex, what in the HECK is that, the 2-8-8-8-2 electric? If it is, someone in the Virginian R&D had a little too much beer me thinks.

nkp174

The 2-8-8-8-2's were 3 pushers used by the Erie during the drag freight era. The Virginian also build a smaller 2-8-8-8-4.

The Virginian also had an electrified section of railroad. I believe that their first electric locomotives were what he's pictured. Several were permanently MUd...as 3-units and as 2-units. Some were just single units. He's referencing the 3-unit motors. They were used...if I recall correctly...around the VA-WV border...which was also near the railroads main shops.