Favorite N Scale Manufacturer

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Tuned MP5T, Oct 21, 2004.

Favorite Manufacturer

1. Atlas

23 vote(s)
  2. Bachmann

7 vote(s)
  3. Kato

30 vote(s)
  4. Life-Like

1 vote(s)
  5. Micro Train

8 vote(s)
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
  1. Tuned MP5T

Tuned MP5T New Member

Thought this would be a interesting poll.

EDIT: Diesel
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

For steam nobody, for diesel road engines Atlas and Kato, for switchers Lifelike, for rolling stock Micro-Trains, for buildings, vehicles, people etc. none of the above. It would help to know just what you are refering to. :)
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I don't have to worry about N Scale equipment cause my late father built alot of cars and a couple of engines from scratch. I only display the N Scale Stuff now in his memory.
  4. Tuned MP5T

Tuned MP5T New Member

Wow no votes for MTL?

EDIT: 2 now :D
  5. velmo

velmo New Member

kato is king

hands down kato runs smmmmooooth.
  6. davidh

davidh New Member

I'm with Tyson. What are you referring to? Locomotives, rolling stock, structures, etc.? Also availabiilty plays a large role. In locomotives I prefer Atlas to the extent they have what I need. Kato is also high quality and I have a few Life Likes that are good. In rolling stock, MTL is the standard, but I have a ton of Intermountain because only they produce the Canadian grain cars. Atlas is also producing some fine rolling stock. Again, who is making what I need?

These "favourite" type of threads always seem a bit simplistic to me . . .

7. Tuned MP5T

Tuned MP5T New Member

So which manufacturer would you recommend for a newbie thats trying to start right in the model train world .
  8. Tyson Rayles

What part of "what are you refering to?" did you not understand? :D
  9. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

I'm modeling the steam era so I'm not much help with your diesels. The only diesel I've bought in the past 15 years is a Life-Like SW8 that arrived a few weeks ago and I'm turning into a Class T Climax (T for Tyson :) .)

I was pretty amazed at the slow and steady speed it can operate at.

Incidentally, I wasn't too happy with the way I modified the running boards for the Climax conversion (especially the way I lost one of the electrical wipers) so I emailed Life-Like for info on how to order a new running board (or sill, as they called it.) They emailed me back to ask if I had a part number, which I did not. I didn't hear back from them again and in the meantime I found the wiper and decided against ordering the new part. Several days later a box containing a new running board assembly was sitting in my mailbox.

So I guess my vote would be Life-Like for slow, smooth switchers and fast, smooth customer service.

10. Tyson Rayles

Nice to hear that a company tries to please it's customers Wayne! :) Kudos to Life-Like! :cool: BTW I like your idea on the Class "T" Climax :D :D :D !
  11. brakie

brakie Active Member

I prefer Atlas and the better grade of Life Like locomotives.I use several quality brands for my freight car fleet. :D
  12. Tuned MP5T

Tuned MP5T New Member

I'm refering to diesel locomotives.
  13. Partsman

Partsman Member

I have an 060 steamer and an SW9/1200 switcher, both Life-Like N-gauge. I'm very pleased with the way the run, after I corrected some track and turnout mis-alignments in my small 12" x 60" yard.
  14. I like Life Like for its combination of reasonable prices and good quality :)
  15. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Atlas and Kato make quality products, but for the best value, Life Like does a great job. I've got quite a few Life Like diesels, some I paid as low as $12 for them when Model Expo was getting out of the train business, some I paid three times that, but even then, that was less than half the cost of any Atlas that I bought. I'm not that crazy for Bachmann. I've got a lot of both diesel and steam, and they seem difficut to keep running well. Since this is a general question, one has to consider all products. As for rolling stock, I like Micro Train and Atlas. As for kits, Model Power tops my list, followed by Life Like and Con Cor. I do not like the Bachmann kits, but I did buy quite a few of them when Model Expo was selling them for a fraction of what they normally sell for, but I bought them strictly for the parts in hopes of doing some kit bashing someday.

That sums up how I look at things, not having done this for very long, and having a long absence during our recent move to our new house. :wave: :wave:
  16. davidh

davidh New Member

I come back to my original comment re the makeup of my own fleet - what do you need and who makes it? I need primarily GP38-2s and SD40-2s, therefore have a lot of Atlas and Kato for the right look. I need a lot of Canadian grain cars, therefore have a lot of Intermountain freight cars. If you are in a position where you can tailor your needs to the market, I would stick to what is available from Atlas, Kato and Lifelike for locomotives. I would stick to freight cars with MTL couplers in preference to Accumates as fara as possible, particularly if you want to run long (>20 cars), etc.

17. jsolie

jsolie Member

Today, it's Kato...

Today, it's Kato. I'm not sure exactly why it took so long, but I wound up buying my first Kato loco today...an SD70MAC (probably because the shop I was in had it for 40% off :D :D :D ).

I tried it on their test track, and it seemed to have some issues starting off slowly, it took off all of a sudden like some of the old Bachman's that have survived from my youth.

However, on my little track at home, it was a different story. Sweeeeeeet :thumb:

-- John
  18. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

isn't Kato the guy who hangs around with the Green Hornet?
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

A Life Like diesel for $12-20 from model expo is a great deal, but that isn't the original price. The new run of Life Like engines are $90 MSRP! I hardly think they are worth that, the new price is right up there with Atlas and Kato. I bought 10 of the GP20's from model expo for $15 too, and I love them, except for the non dcc ready frame, but I don't think I'd pay over $40 for one. The new GP60 does look really nice... the EMD scheme might look good on the layout!
    -My favourite is Kato, followed by Intermountain, LBF and Red Caboose, then Atlas.
  20. WMRR

WMRR New Member

My favorite is Atlas, followed closely by Kato and Intermountain.