Favorite Designer?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Sep 26, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Who is your favorite paper/card model designer, living or otherwise? I must admit, most of my favorite " living" designers are members here. To prevent the risk of forgetting someone...I will not mention any...but I love you all.....

My favorite designer of all was Geoffrey Heighway. He designed Micromodels from the 1940's up to his graduation from life in the 1970's. I found my first Micromodels kit in 1974 in a hobby shop. Six little Ships and Galleons. It was the last kit on the shelf and no hope of any more. Two years ago I found them online and bought them all. One-by-one I plan to build them all, then build them again...tiny.

Consider this:
    When you download models, or purchase models, do you notice or try to research who made the model? Do you contact the designer if the model pleases you? Do you mumble a silent thank-you when you get the model?
    Do you really appreciate what these gifted people have given us? Now is your chance to thank some of them...again.
  2. rjm

rjm Member

Waldemar Rychard! He designs mostly AFV's for Modelik.
  3. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

Richard Vyskovský, a really great Cech designer, most of the ABC and Erkoptyp models are from his hands.

4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Airplanes (I actually built- names in no particular order)
    Jacek Slowik
    Rafal Ciesielski
    Pawel Mistewicz

Have several, did not built any yet
    Marcin Grygiel
    Tadeusz Grzelczak
    Lukasz Fuczek

Ships (did not build any yet, but like the subjects)
    Grzegorz Nowak
    Maciej Herbut
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ummm I haven't met a designer I didn't like............... to paraphrase.

But NOBI was the first "designer" I got to know through the site and I still snap up everything he puts out as soon as it is a available.

So.............. Nobi is a favorite of mine...........and there are others...... but Nobi was my "First Favorite Designer".

Rob, Jim G, Ashrunner (Grand Poohbah), John Dell, John Griffin, Rafal, Kancho, Guido, Michi (Penguin Man), Emil, Halinski, these guys are all favorites. And I have enjoyed building models from them all!!

So as Phil says........... I give a collective THANK YOU! to you, and to any I missed (sorry!), and to all of the future designers to come, I hope to enjoy many many more models.

6. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

This is an interesting thread Phil.
    I don't know that I have a "favorite" designer though. To be completely honest when I am looking for a model I do not even look at the designer. I look for the subjects that I am interested in then choose the one that jumps out at me the most and keep a list of the others I found along the way for future builds. Is this rude to the designers? I sure hope not as that is not my intention.
    There are so many great designers out there and I don't want to miss any of them so I don't limit myself to looking for something from any specific designer. Instead I say thank you to all designers for the great work they do and for sharing their work with us!
  7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

As John said, "I haven't met a designer I didn't like."

But I will say this...as a designer, for me the greatest compliment is seeing one (or all) of my models built and on display. 8v) When I was writing for newspapers, if one person wrote, called or stopped me on the street to complain, complement or get more info on a news story I wrote, I was happy. It always seems worth it when even one person notices.

And, for all you Flintstone fans, I will soon be rereleasing the Flintstone Family Car model with upgraded texturing. Nothing new as far as parts or design goes (it was my first design ever and I still think it is perfect as is), just bringing its looks up to quality of my later releases. Also, this winter I'll be adding hopefully two more Stone Age models to go with the growing list of Flintstone related objects floating around the net. Their availability will be noted somewhere on this site when they escape from my copy of TurboCAD (which by the way I have no affliliation with other than it is my tool of choice for all my designing needs).
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

There are a lot of talented designers out there, but for the kind of stuff I build, Erik te Groen is DA MAN. If folks think launch vehicles are just tubes and cones, one look at Erik's work proves they can be works of art and still be accurate and detailed models.

Plus, he's a nice guy.
  9. barry

barry Active Member

If you build ships then DN , Adriano and Grzegorz Nowak and for planes then NOBI cos they are fun.

10. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

As an Armor modeler Marian Sobel is by far may favorite designer. Halinski has released most of his models but other publishers released a few other models.

Waldemar Rychard of Modelik would also be on my short list of favorite designers.

Since we are on the subject wouldn’t it be interesting if the publishers would put up on their Web pages short biographies on the designers. When I am building a model I often feel as if I am getting a glimmer of how the designer thinks, being an Enginner I like seeing how each designer solves the various problems in designing his model.

Jim Nunn
  11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i not meat like jhon any designer yet (helinski call a designer :S ?)

but i have 2 i realy like our best NOBI like must of us and the guy that make the b24 for FG

about big compeny my best for now from the up to down

gpm , modelart , nobi
    AIF MAG (zeev ben dor is the designer of the IAF MAG)
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

FG's B-24 (and B17) are John Dell's creations--a very talented designer.