Fatima Ieatta Build

Greetings all,

While I'm all bold and sure of myself with the successful build of Noname http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8068 I thought it was time to take on an even more intimidating anime girl - the fatima Ieatta.

2viewdrawing.jpg

The model is available for download on the Pepakura site, and is comprised of 10 well organized A4 pages - PDOs. The artwork looks really nice. Unfortunately, the output from my crappy printer really didn't do it justice. Assembly looks to be pretty typical for an anime model. I expect that the 25 piece head scarf will be the most challenging portion of the build, followed by her 14 piece high heeled boots. She's gonna be a tall, lanky one when complete - probably around 13 inches high.

To find out more about the fatimas, google "Five Star Stories". Wikipedia has a fairly in depth synopsis of the anime series. Here's some info on the fatimas taken directly from Wikipedia:

Fatima Statistics

Height: 155-170cm
Period of Maturation: 8-15 years
Production Cost: Around US$ 46 million but a black market exists as do private transactions
Life Span: Unknown. The only known fatima died of old age is Intercity, who died in JC 2997 at age of 687. Since she is one of the first four fatimas, the life span of later fatima are expacted to be longer, but no one knows how long at this point.
Necessary Caloric Intake: Minimum 200 kcal. per day in battle situations
MH Control/Data Processing Capabilities: Equivalent to a 128 bit computer, however memory is only a little better than Homo sapiens
Physical Strength: 200kg single arm clean and jerk, 500kg deadlift
IQ: 200 or more
Reaction Speed: 85% of the average headdliner's speed
Blood Type: Similar to Homo sapiens (MN, RH, ABO). The best meights develop superior types. The double epsilon model's (Lachesis) blood type is by far the finest to date.

This is gonna be fun, hee heeee! I'll post an update when I've got something to share. Wish me luck!

Regards,
Don

I'm off to a poor start. Sliced my thumb on the first part. Not a nasty cut, but it's bleeding too much for me to continue tonight. I've got a band aid on it now. Hopefully it'll mend up enough over night that I'll be able to continue tomorrow. One of the minor hazards of the hobby. Nuts.

Don

M

Mark_1984

Wowza !!! That looks challenging !!!!

Really looking forward to this one Don :)

M

Mark_1984

Just looked through the files and realised she hasn't got any hands !!!! An oversight on the parts of the designer ? Are you going to add some Don ?

And I see she's got your favourite alternating tabs ;)

Mark, I downloaded these files a while ago but there are hands in my set - they are grey gloved hands and are located on the same page as her hat. As with Noname, they are very simple with a wide wrist that is rolled and slid up into the forearm. Yes, I'm sorry to say the alternating glue tabs are featured. Must be a Pepakura thing. I'll probably add tabs to the north end of each piece and remove them from the south end again. I just find it easier to build that way. The side tabs on her boots, legs, arms, etc also move back and forth from one side to the other on every other piece. I don't really like that idea either so I'll add or delete side tabs as required so that the seams overlap in the same direction all the way up the boot, etc. I think the effect would be choppy otherwise. I hope to have some progress photos posted soon.
Regards,
Don

Lex

Dollmaker
Another anime model!!! This one must be fun to build, I just HAVE to watch this thread~~~

M

Mark_1984

rockpaperscissor said:
Mark, I downloaded these files a while ago but there are hands in my set - they are grey gloved hands and are located on the same page as her hat. As with Noname, they are very simple with a wide wrist that is rolled and slid up into the forearm. Yes, I'm sorry to say the alternating glue tabs are featured. Must be a Pepakura thing. I'll probably add tabs to the north end of each piece and remove them from the south end again. I just find it easier to build that way. The side tabs on her boots, legs, arms, etc also move back and forth from one side to the other on every other piece. I don't really like that idea either so I'll add or delete side tabs as required so that the seams overlap in the same direction all the way up the boot, etc. I think the effect would be choppy otherwise. I hope to have some progress photos posted soon.
Regards,
Don

Ah ha - I double checked the 'hat' file - and found the hands! Cunningly hid as grey hands on a grey background.

Look forward to the photos ;)

Lex

Dollmaker
--I have to say I'm not satisfied with the design on hands, but otherwise, great model.

I agree Nezard, the hands are pretty weak. This flat hand style seems to be the standard for these less complicated anime models though. And then there's Aru....'nuff said. I have a modification planned for Ieatta's hands. I don't know what the outcome will be, but I'm hoping for a more 3D effect in the end. I have built one of her boots, and I have to say that I am impressed with the fit and the layout of the parts. So impressed in fact, that I wrote a complimentary email to the designer - hopefully he can translate it. Even that 25 piece head scarf, which at first glance appears like an absolute nightmare to assemble, will be much easier to build (I hope) due to the logical layout of the parts on the page. I can pretty much visualize how it will all go together just by looking at the sheet. So far I'm having fun with it.
Regards,
Don

Lex

Dollmaker
It might be a good idea to use Aru or Kira's hands as replacement, scaled to fit. It shouldn't be that difficult ^_^

Give her the boot!

I started with Ieatta's left boot. It is made up of 14 pieces, which are laid out in the order that they are to be constructed. First the 2 piece spike heel, then the toe, then on and on 'till you get to the top. What a long leggedy gal she is! The completed boot is 135mm or 5 5/16" tall. I debated rolling the parts this time versus scoring, and ultimately decided to go the scoring route. There are currently 2 other figure model build threads going on, Mark_1984's Pristontale Archer, and rickstef's WWII Soldiers. All are commercial models, and all feature the scoring preparation method. I decided not to break with tradition.

I didn't assemble the parts quite as designed. I don't like working with alternating glue tabs on the top and bottom of each part, and I didn't like the way the side glue tabs bounced back and forth with each consecutive piece. My part preparation method is simple: there are no dashed score lines (thank God), so I score the part using the glue tabs on the north and south sides as a guide. Then I ensure there is an eastern edge glue tab (hand drawn or printed), and cut off the western one if provided. With scissors I carefully cut along the south side of the part, chopping off all the glue tabs as I go. Then I draw glue tabs in between each pair on the north side. I score all along the north side glue tabs, and cut them out with scissors. I paint the white paper edge pale blue with acrylic paint and a small flat brush. I use smooth jawed needle nosed pliers to facilitate folding on the score lines, and use Elmer's to glue everything together.

The fit of each part was flawless. The designer suggested wrinkles in the leather/vinyl/pleather boot at the toe, ankle and knee. The boot parts didn't all fit on one page - the top 4 parts of each boot are on a different page, and for some reason they printed out bluer that the other 10 pieces. Doesn't look too bad if I squint, but you can probably see it in the photos. For a better look I painted the inside of the boot top a medium shade of blue with acrylics.

leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

For the right boot build, just read this post reflected in a mirror :). The next chapter will cover the thighs and pelvic area.

Regards,
Don

thewoodengraver

You guys amaze me...that's all I can say...

Don, I really LOVE the specifications you created!!! Had me laughing out loud (hard to do).
Great job on the legs too!

horologium

Can't wait to see this finished. Five Star Stories is one of my favorite manga. I found this site by trying to find a model of one the mortar heads, but unfortunatly they don't seem to exist.

No progress on her since my last post, horologium - I got 8 yards of top soil delivered which I am spreading by shovel, wheelbarrow, and rake. I can't wait to get back to her though. The only other FSS card model I know of is an AKD knight by the same designer as Fatima Ieatta. #63 in the Pepakura gallery. There is also an "original" Fatima available for download on Pepakura which looks good, but I'd much rather have one taken directly from FSS.

horologium

Yeah, I have all of those model,. None built yet though! I've heard that there are some models of the led mirage and twin towers for sale at some Japanese conventions, but that's a lomg way from Portland...

M

Mark_1984

Hi Don,

Any progress on this model, or have other things got in the way (happens so often.....)

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,
I haven't made any progress on her since my last post. It's been a busy summer so far. She's still there, waiting to be built, and I hope to start working on her again soon. I think seeing this thread come to the top of the heap again will serve as the kick in the butt I needed to start modeling again. Thanks!
Regards,
Don