Fat Albert

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Not Yet...,

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot man............. I wouldn't change a thing, they look great.

Is it some kind of accordion fold and glue thing?

Is it a single cut piece?
  3. airbob

airbob Member

C-5 Project

Hurrah! for tackling this project!!!....the big jets are really challenging.....your use of RHINO to develop this project is really inspiring.....I only wish that I understood how to use this system....maybe before I die!? :cry:
  4. Alcides

Alcides Member

The rhino model is inspiring and the paper prototype looks great. Go go !!!

5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Sir Gil, any news on your C-5 sir? :-D
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello Hans Christian,

I had an unfortunate disk catastrophe several months back and lost a lot of data that was not current on the backup..., The C5, however, survived the disaster and is in the queue.

Best regards, -Gil
  7. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Oh I see... Thanks for the heads up sir!!! :-D
  8. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

now that is soooooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1going to see them in july!!!!
  9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Hey Gil,

Has the queue moved up any? I for one am always interested in the little tips and tricks you post... and would really like to see how a finished design of yours turns out! Also, a C-5 model would be really popular here in San Antonio. I know a guy who is one of the flight instructors for the C-5 here in town.

10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

11. astralwanderer

astralwanderer New Member

any more news on this project as I too am interested in the C5 and would really like to get one to build
  12. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Just to stir the name pot some more. To a aircraft junkie who grew up in Dallas, TX, "Fat Albert" was the first bright orange 747 that Braniff International bought. They got it specifically to fly round trips from Dallas to Hawaii and back. They were told that you couldn't work an airplane that hard. But Al did just fine, flying out of Love Field. Long before DFW existed.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

New Content...,

The C5's been in sleep mode for several years. The design was put on hold as the amount of accurate information was sadly lacking. Since then I've acquired several tools which with photographs from web sources has enabled extraction of details that aren't available anywhere outside of Lockheed/Martin...,

Below is a beauty shot of the new work so far. It's interesting that as the design progresses that an understanding of the immensity of the design and tradeoffs made by the engineers at Lockheed becomes apparent. This monster is a streamlined freight train - only bigger...,

The nose to cockpit cabin transition was a nightmare to get tangent. The shape of upper rear fuselage was another story altogether. Half way through I remembered why I took a break from it the first time around.

The wheel fairings still need work. They're not tangetially surface transistioned but shouldn't be that much of problem.

The surface envelope is now nearing completion and with that the transition to panel line marking. If this goes to model the next phase is section matching and framing. Some sections will require the application of modeling paste and sanding. It just would not look right otherwise. This will not be a print colored bird but a spray coated one instead [but all paper in the inside].

Bien Cordialement, +Gil

14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Gray Scale

Had the usual "snakes in the cockpit" till the right set points were found in the properties dialog and lofts were arranged to enable seam closure. Color is near that of the full size aircraft...,

15. montee916

montee916 New Member

Can't wait to see the final result. :thumb: Even tho I guess I'll have to. :p
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's one helluva render Gil. Interesting to see some of these old threads being revived, n'est-ce pas?

"The first shall be last, and the last shall be first"...................Matthew 20:1-16
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Slow But Accurate

Hi Zathros,

It takes time to sort through all the question marks a particular subject projects onto a design study.

Accurately reproducing a subject is exceedingly difficult as one progresses through the process of discovery.

As any designer soon discovers the three dimensional outline is the beginning; the three dimensional surface is half-way and the whole enchilada takes forever...,

18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I hope you haven't given this up, it is so awesome.
  19. inky

inky Member

I agree with Zathros, I hope you haven't given up on this. I been waiting on a C-5 for some time now.