fastrack vs traditional type track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by schulzy190, Jan 12, 2006.

1. schulzy190

schulzy190 New Member

The former owner of the house I am living in had a train platform upstairs..I believe he used american flyer. he took his trains, track, etc but he left me the platform. it is approximently 25 ft by 15 or so...ill have to get an illistration of it but i am in the slow process of getting to use question is which is better? Fasttrack or the conventional? i am hoping to get a least a small section of it ready even if it is just a circle. thanx for the help. oh yeah its O gauge:thumb:
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Fastrack is about 3 to 4 times more costly than 'O' or 027 track. :(

Because Fastrack is new, there is next to none of it on the used - secondary market. :(

Because of how Fastrack is made, it is much noiser that tube track :(

Many poeple like the look of Fastrack with the it road bed and size of the ties :)

Also many people like it for how it fits together. :) Although, I never had a problem with tube track. :D

The width of Fastrack is wider than tube track because of the road bed. This is something you should check if this layout was for AF. Also min Radiu of Fastrack is 36"

Cost maybe your bigest consideration :thumb:

3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I have some Fastrack and some tubular. I used tubular for my layout because it's cheaper and I like the traditional toy train look of tubular track. Tom pretty much covered all the bases when it comes to the differences between the two.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I find that Fastrack still has a few deficiencies -- I can't see any center rail insulators and they don't seem to have an operating section for the older operating cars. As well, it might be a problem to cut it to fit a special situation.
    It came with my wife's train set, so we're using it so far. But we only have a loop.
  5. schulzy190

schulzy190 New Member

thanx for the help...i am going with the old fashion stuff...i think it looks better and i can get a bunch off ebay...thanx again:wave: