Fascia suggestions?

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hey everyone, just a quick question... My Truro Junction is in progress, including the first layers of foam, plus a test layout of the main loop of track. I'm looking to have the edges cleaned up quite a bit by using some sort of fascia material. I was wondering what people use, and what the best material might be?

I know my choices are the edging boards from woodland scenics, thin MDF board cut into manageable strips (I'd need to know what thickness, and what width), or polystyrene cut into strips. What do people use, and why do you use it?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use a tartan patterned cloth because my wife put it up.
The commonest is probably a thin board or masonite -- something that will curve sharply enough to match the edge of the layout. If your scenery is going to be non-flat at the edge, cut a contour into the top fascia.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
We used Masonite on the club layout. Works well. I've seen some really impressive fascias made of dimension hardwood lumber. Doesn't bend at all but sure looks great with a natural or stained finish. Pricey also.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Will, thanks for the photos. I checked out the local home depot and it's very accessible, plus they can rip it into smaller, thinner pieces for me. Not only that, it can handle a curve quite nicely. What are the dimensions of your Masonite pieces? Are they 6"x48"? I think I may be able to put up the perimeter of my layout for less than $15 CDN...