Farm Machinery Dilemma

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I'm building a farm display. This is not going to be a running layout, but more of a display because I got some diesel equipment that I can't run on my turn of the century logging layout. I also think the whole farming thing is fun to model as I love old barns and old farms in general. :thumb:

I was at the LHS a while back and they had some stuff I just had to buy (sound familiar?) :rolleyes: Now I got it home, I'm not sure what the era of this stuff is. I was wanting to put my farm in the mid 50s, so can anyone tell me if this stuff is in period? Please. :confused:

Pic 1..........Air Seeder

Pic 2............Disks

Pic 3.............Plow

Pic 4.............Percy inspects the trucks. :eek:

TrainClown ;)

Attachments

• air seeder.jpg
    air seeder.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
  • disks.jpg
    disks.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 28
  • plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 24
  • the trucks.jpg
    the trucks.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
era

From what I see of the tractors, they should fit in the 50's-6o's. I'm not so sure that the tractor shown cold do a 4 bottom plow unless they are 14" or in sandy soil. They do look good.

Only a penny's worth of opinion.

Lynn

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The green tractor with the yellow metal wheels is too old for the period - at least it would not have been sold any more. It may have been in running condition though...

Those red tractors look great!

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If you like old farm buildings, you should check out Surrey Custom Models line of farm buildings. They actually got these from Alder Models of Deep River, ON when the owner retired and sold the business.

I am thinking about maybe bashing the log farm house into a Northern Ontario "camp" of the 1920s-era.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I would think you could use all the stuff for a mid-50's layout. The trucks and red tractors are early 50's, the green tractor, as Andrew points out, is earlier, but who's to say it wasn't running. It may have to be weathered quite a bit, but hey, it could have been restored with a new paint job as well. The horses are definately period, period...:D:D

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Actually, the green tractor is going to be all rusty and sitting in a field with other obsolete farm machinery. This is part of the lure of old farms for me. The old equipment sitting around rusting away. Wagons half rotted into the earth. Old grain sheds and chicken coops half rotted and falling down. I'm going to have a go at scratch building an old thresher, like a McCormick, and perhaps a traction engine too.

I missed out on a modern combine at the train show. It was a beauty, but I can't afford $80.

I would like some real old trucks for my pasture equipment, like a model T or a White, but these just can't be found at the LHS.

TrainClown ;)

Union Pacific

Oct 8, 2005
Virginia
well well well someone needs my tractor help :p
That "green one" John Deere is a model D it was made in the late 30's-late 40's it would fit in if you weathered it a bit the "red one" Farmall is good it was made from 40-late 50's the plows and everything else is good both of these tractors were made for 3 bottom plows but could handle 4 if the ground wasn't clay
hope this helps

Ben

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
TC, I rember pulling the disker and plow like the ones you have around the field in the 60's, usually had the tractors with the wider front wheels for that. The green painted machinery was and still is john deere products The red tractor with the narrow front wheels looks like an old massey harris job. The first one with the big metal lug wheels wasn't around then, remember seeing the odd old wheel like that around the back of the barn. Looks like what you have will sure make a great farm scene, keep us posted on how its moooving along, pardon the pun....Ron..

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
TC in the 50's i rember a old man down the road from us that still ran a metal wheeled tractor he had taken the cleets off and bolted a old rubber tractor tire on the rim. nice stuff:)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I was wanting to put my farm in the mid 50s, so can anyone tell me if this stuff is in period?

Re pic 4:

Looking at inspector Percy I think he could be a turn-of-the-century model. So he's much too young, and therefore you should NOT place him on the diorama. :D :D :D

Ron