Fantom .18 Engine

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by daytondaft, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    i just ordered a fantom FR18 for my 2.5 maxx. mostly stock besides 70 tooth spur gear and i was woundering if the fantom is really a "direct replacement" for my maxx........ will i have to cut the crankshaft? change the gearing? Upgrade the gearing? Also i was wondering if it matters what kind of pipe i use when breaking in the engine(stock or aluminum) and if their is a specific pipe that is the best, if so what pipe?
    thanks
    Dayton
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Ribbed pipes are the best at giving you both worlds. Low end torque and still a reasonable top end. I have not seen the replacement done but as far as I know yes it is a drop-in. But the temps run at 320 Deg. for optimum preformance. Thats a little hot to me but hey, thats just me. Why not go for the Sirio .18 that puts out 1.8HP and do a little porting at just a 15% gain in power you come out with a 2.1HP engine and can still do some more stuff to the engine. And as a bonus it runs around 240 Deg. Just my thoughts.
  3. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    i have heard that i would need to upgrage my stock 2 bell clutch shoe to a 3 bell clutch shoe(i think thats what its called) is this true?
    thanks
  4. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Not really, but it would give you more of a positive clutch engagement and reduce the slippage. but increase the rotating mass. For every plus there is a minus. Always a trade-off somewhere in the chain. The clutch is really up to you and depends on what your gonna do with it. If your going for speed then skip it. If your going for climbing and such then I would go for it. Also I have heard that you will want a better slipper clutch setup. Like the one from Robinson Racing to deal with the new power. I have a buddy that is going through the same thing as you so we are considering much of the same things right now. Also we a considering metal tranny gears. But we're gonna go for the RR Slipper first and see how that goes.
  5. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

whenevery u guys get the RR slipper set let me know how it goes and if it helped or not.
    thanks for the help

Dayton
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

The .18 is a drop in, no cutting. Any pipe will work but their pipe was designed for that engine, you will get more power with it. With the more torque you should be able to gear up. The RR slipper is great, much more tunable, much smoother.
    The trans you can leave alone, but if your going to race it you will want to gut it of all the reverse crap to unload the trans for rotating mass. The aluminum gears are good if your going big block for dependablity, but if the slipper is set right you won't need them, plastic gears have less rotating mass, which will let you excellerate faster.
  7. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey rock,
    can u give me the part # and site where u can get the slipper set
    thanks
  8. Hey were did you get the fantom .18 from, and does it come in a pullstart.......
  9. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    i got my fantom .18 from sheldon hobbies, mine didnt come with a pull start im just putting my ez-start from the 2.5 maxx on it. im not sure where or if u can get one with a pull start
  10. A J G 3 6 6

A J G 3 6 6 Member

Whats the best drop in for the Maxx,that puts out alot of power and HP
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

It depends on what you need, speed or torque.
    Torque- go bigger in displacement ie. .18 or small block .21 for climbing, pulling or rock crawling
    Speed- go with higher rpm ie .12 or .15 for racing
    Which engine? Depends on how deep your pockets are. For best performance, buy the best engine you can afford. There are a lot of great engines out there, some you may have to cut the crankshaft but that is an easy task.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.