Fallen flag cars in a train

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I seem to remember a thread that I think was in the ho forum in the old Gauge where someone was switching to modern diesel from steam and was asking about what railroads would be represented in the trains. I saw a U.P. local today with about 6 or 8 gons loaded with coils of steel rod. There was one S.P. gon, 2 or 3 CNW gons, and 3 or 4 MoPac gons. The built dates on one MoPac gon was 1979. Obviously, when frieght cars get to be 20 years old or more, and still are painted in the fallen flag colors, they are pretty rough. I didn't have a camera with me to get any pics, but I hope this info will be of help to someone.

chipmonk

Mar 9, 2004
NJ
Visit site
that was me!

hey russ,
that post about modern frieght cars was mine i havent gotten around to reposting. thanks for the info!

Thanks agian :wave:
Chris

F

Fred_M

I still see Penn Central gain hoppers on the local shortline. They painter in new numbers but the rest of the paint is still PC green/white. That means they haven't been painted since before 1974 (from memory), 30+ years. There are pics of them on my site under proto. Here's a link http://www.trainweb.org/zmtshortline/r4.html FRED

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Still see some Rock Island blues (box and hoppers) here in Iowa from time to time. Also SOO hoppers and cars. Saw a Milwaukee gondola yesterday. All remarked for the owning road (IC&E), of course.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Down here in the Deep South when they're done logging out a pine forest they then dig up the stumps, load them in gons and ship them to Brunswick GA where the cellulose nitrate is extracted to make explosives. Those old gons are really old with blt. dates in the 60's.....Most I have seen are still lettered for Southern and Central of Georgia.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Something like this?

tr_milw_gon.jpg

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
We have a bunch of old covered hoppers in Sparks Nevada. They have build dates of 1963 and 1965. The road names are what you would expect, UP, SP and SSW. Yesterday I saw a CGW hopper, same one I saw a month ago, back in the yard. UP is digging up some old cars to cover the customer needs. Some old C&EI hoppers with MP on the reporting marks are showing up now too. Old MP plug door box cars are showing up, ones that had been in storage for some time.

Greg Elems

F

Fred_M

So on your layout, I say run what you want. If you are a histoian running a 40 foot woodside boxcars in 2003 may not work for you, but to me it's no problem. :) You can find an example of about anything you want in the real world. As to roadnames, if you are modeling a big name road like UP or ATSF, over 1/2 your stock should be your home road name. But you can rationalize not having any home names on a train as it's a empty return train to an interchange. That's why I do a freelance transfere company in 1980. I can put anything I want on the track built before 1981 as even wood cars with walkways showed up on the rails then. I love model railroading. FRED