factory smokestacks

Any thoughts on making smokestacks... I like the brick tapered kind...

or even the square ones that seem to telescope up to the sky.... real industrial

Russ Bellinis

I'm presuming you don't have a lathe. If you have an electric drill with a trigger lock, you could fashoion a cradle for it from wood and clamp it in position with a large aircraft worm drive clamp to use the drill as a lathe. Put a large dowel in the chuck, and use a file to form the taper. When it is shaped, wrap it with brick paper.

Jules Winnfield

Hi E-Kyle,
I made this chimney...using a sheet of plastic canvas from the craft store 99 cents.
A piece of terra cotta colored polymer clay $1.49. I cut pieces of the canvas out with an exacto knife(in a brick pattern) pressed the clay into the canvas sheet making it flat.Rolled the size that I needed around a drumstick, put it in the oven for 25 minutes on 275 and painted it with black craft paint and immediatley wiped it off.It also makes great cobblestones and walls.cheap and easy!

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 507
  • plasticanvas.jpg
    plasticanvas.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 498
  • sculpey.jpg
    sculpey.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 495

jim currie

a tapered candle would make a cement one or a candle carved to look like brick(1938 book how to build model railroads). would be ok as long as the layout don't get too hot .

Relic

What about the rolls from paper towels, tinfoil, etc, ? Depending on your scale there's the middle of a roll of carpet

Thanks guys... I found a gold mine in the back yard for this project; an old badmitten set with plastic posts. The posts are octagon and nest into three telescoping sections.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's great Kyle! Sometimes regular objects around the home nicely fit the bill for representing railroad/industrial things. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them! I thought I'd post a pic of the Walthers smokestack Ed mentioned.

Attachments

• smokestack.jpg
    smokestack.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 368
Hi Crew,

I'm resurrecting this thread 'cuz I finally got a new camera! YEAH!

Here are my smokestacks... better late than never.

agx.sized.jpg

agy.sized.jpg

ahh.sized.jpg

Well Relic,

I've never seen coke oven, or a lime kiln.... so this is my best guess as to what might have been used to burn coke and limestone into potash.

I'd love to find a site about potash.... as it was one of the three main products of MICH. ALKALI CO., the industry I model....

ahs.sized.jpg

tweet469

I made mine with some styrene covered with the brick -patterned construction paper they sell at MicroMark It has an adhesive backing, but I use a little contact cement and wrap a rubber band aroubnd it until the glue sets. I may model a roud smokestack using a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe. Tweet.