F7's

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Guys I need some help. I want to purchase an F7 A/B unit/set , or similar, and have no clue which is good, or which is crap. I am looking at the Micro-Trains EMD FT as that is close to the style and color scheme I want. What are your views of this outfit? There was another company I was looking at, but I can't find it right now. It may have been from Intermountain.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I know so little about all this yet. I am learning, but there is also a train show in Allentown, PA this weekend and just in case, I want to be prepared.

Thank you for your help and input,

MrBones
"SouthForkRR"

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Thanks David. I really don't care which FT, F7, F3, whichever as long as it has those romantic curves of the nose, and runs well. I would like to choose a light color as I would like to repaint it close to the colors of the "The Texas Special". With my paint skills, I'm sure it will look "special". LOL :eek:

MrBones

hswn

Aug 19, 2003
South Shore Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'd be inclined to look for the Kato locos. Kato has a very good name. I'd also advise that if you go to a model railroad show, most any one with one for sale wouldn't mind test running it for you (it's like selling a car), at least that's what I find up here in the Maritimes of Canada.
I have the older Kato pre. flywheel F3 and F7, there old but good the new ones are better.
As far as your painting abilities. The more you do the better you'll get. GO FOR IT. Some of the best fun in the hobby is doing stuff for your self.
Brady

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
IM and MT FTs-good

Kato F-7s and F-3s-good

LL FP-Whatevers-not bad for the time, but dated, any more. Will pull your entire pike up four flights of stairs, though. Seems a bit out-of-scale, too.

B-mann SPECTRUM F-7s- Strictly a 'C' grade locomotive.

B-mann PLUS F-7s and Standard line F-9-Stay away.

Those are the ones in current or recent production. I may have omitted one or two.

There are older production models by TRIX, Arnold and Roco. The Arnold F-9/FP-7 is not too bad, but it is noisy. Some of the detail is a bit clunky. I have never owned the TRIX. The Roco is to be avoided.

Of the above the passenger units are : Kato F-3, LL FP-whatever, B-mann Standard F-9, Arnold F-9/FP-7 and Roco F-3.

There is a Kato F-7B available with the s/g stacks as well as a freight F-3 (no s/g stacks). You could make passenger units out of the FTs by adding the appropriate s/g details.

I'll add a brief note as I am also trying to put together a F7 A-B roster.
I pretty much resigned myself to Bachmann Spectrum editions as I just can't deal with the cost of Intermountains. Life-Like only offers the A and I didn't want to use a B from a different manufacturer as I was afraid (in spite of scale) they would not be exactly the same size and look odd.

Luckily, at a recent show I picked up a pair of Kato F7s (they are also labelled as F3s depending on the road, but are actually the same model as far as I can tel). They run beautifully, and I've seen the B units on Ebay for sale since. Unfortunately, I think this is the only way to buy them as I don't see them in the Walthers catalog. Depending on road name they seem to go for a reasonable price.

uacturbo

Aug 21, 2001
Toronto
Visit site
Model Power F7

Never thought I would say it but I bought two of the new Model Power F7 units - all metal with dual flywheels - in Canadian National livery and find they run smoothly, quietly and look sharp. I only wish they had blackened the wheels. And, for $60 CDN, they were a bargain.

Kevin

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
Are these MP FP-7s the 'train set' locomotive or the so-called 'hobbyist version'? I have not seen them here. The 'train set' versions that have appeared here are wired backwards.

MrBones

Feb 7, 2003
N.E. PA
Visit site
Thank you for all your input. I went to the show yesterday and found a set package of Micro-Trains FT A/B units, new, for half price. I was a little skepticle of the price, I couldn't remember the internet price, but once I got them home and ran them. Wow, they are the smoothest, quietest running locomotives I have purchased yet. I didn't know until today that the B unit is also powered. Neat.

I only saw one Kato F7 and it did not have a B unit.

Thank you for the help. Now to start building my layout.

MrBones