Discussion in 'Trainspotter ID' started by BNSF509, May 18, 2006.

1. BNSF509

BNSF509 New Member

Here are a couple of F7's. They're all FP7's. The "P" designation is for passenger. They are a bit longer than a F7 because of the extra power genertators for the passenger cars.

The first one is a picture of one taken when we were riding the Verde Canyon RR in Arizona. the other two are N scale taken on my work in progress layout.

Attached Files:

2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The F7 is very similar to the F9 and I only know of one spotting difference betwen them. The F7 has a round dynamic brake fan in the roof behind the cab. I think phase 1 F7s had a 48 inch fan, phase 2s had 36 inch fans, but on the Santa Fe they would install whatever they had on hand at the time, so in later years you might find either fan on either phase of unit. The F7 also had 4 grilles on the sides of the a units between the portholes. The F3s also had these 4 grilles between the portholes, but as I mentioned in the F3 thread the dynamic brake was different. The other difference between the F3 and F7 is that the F3 had 4 exhaust stacks, the F7 had 2. I haven't been able to spot any difference between a F7 b unit and a F9 b unit. From the railroad's point of view, the major difference between a F7 and a F9 was the F7 had the same package as a Gp7 1500 hp, while the F9 had the same package as the Gp9 which meant 1750 hp.
    As a sub heading here, I would mention that there were also Fp7s. The difference between a F7 and a Fp7 is an extra 4 feet in length of the car body and longer truck spacing accordingly to accomodate a steam generator at the back of the unit and longer tank area between the trucks to accomodate water for the steam generator.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The FT had the four exhaust stacks as did the TA unit on the Rock Island. The TA unit did not ride on Blomberg trucks but AAR type B road trucks, six were built in 1937. FT production started in 1939. There is an F2 which bridges the FT and F3. These had 1350 hp same as the FT but an F3 type spotting features. From the F2 onward, two exhaust stacks were used. The F3 had two rectangular openings for dynamic brakes behind the cab on the roof. Some F3's were upgraded with F7 traction motors but were still 1500 hp and delivered as F3's. Late F3's and early F7's shared many spotting features. The spotting differences for the F7 and F9 are mainly on the side panels behind the cab door. The F7 has a port hole window and four car-body filters then a sand box door and the last port hole window. The F9 will have a car-body filter, port hole window then the four car-body filters the sand box door and then the port hole window. EMD's F units evolved and often improvements were applied before model numbers changed. When identifying units, road numbers are most helpful in differentiating the models as delivered. Many roads repaired; rebuilt and upgraded their F units so spotting features become blurred. SP rebuilt F3’s to F9 standards but left them at 1500 hp. Santa Fe F’s were a challenge to identify towards the end from numerous shopping’s and the CF7 program getting started in the early 70’s.

Greg Elems
  4. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

This is a new addition to my layout. Kato...
  5. sgtcarl

sgtcarl Member

Okay, so I'm a little slow on the uptake, (it comes from age) So when were you in AZ? The Verde Canyon Railroad Station is located just a few blocks from where my wife and I used to live. We moved from there, (Clarkdale) to here (Ripplemead, VA) just a little over 5 yrs ago. Do you or anyone else have photos or sketches of the differnt types of diesel/electrics? I don't know anything about them at all, and sure could use some help. Thanks
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

To start with, try reading the other threads in this forum. Scale Drawings has scale drawings.