F6F-3 Hellcat, 1:33, Halinski 3-4/2000

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Carl............. if you friends can't rib who can!:twisted: Oh yeah and the arrow was one of those with the rubber suction cups on the end!

Man I've learned more stuff with your threads than you'll ever know!8)

Rick......... I use the same technique and mine have yet to turn out that well! Sometimes it takes more than having just the right tool............

You know........ being the proverbial BULL let loose in the china shop......... I'm lucky getting anything even close. But I do have fun trying!:grin:

I showed my wife the thread from beginning to end and she was impressed with your recovery and tenacity, she even said the wheels looked great!

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Cool! I doubt I could even get my wife to look at my OWN thread! That's great.

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Canopy Action

I wasn't going to post another in-progress shot, but this leads into a plug I'm getting ready to make for something I read about here on the forums.

Here is a cheat canopy (Gomex). Can't do the fabulous custom jobs like Commander Ted, but I'm OK with a store bought cheat!

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is the stuff I'm talking about for glueing frame parts to the canopy (I think it was Rob who I read about this from). It dries clear, and any excess easily balls up and scrapes off after a couple of minutes. Sets up pretty quick too. It also makes a clear film for small openings. Tried it just to see it in action and it works pretty nice. I can see this being very useful for making ship portholes and so on. Highly recommended!

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man that looks nice, home built or not. Homebuilt sometimes isn't enough, that last canopy of mine was a bust! Your'ens is lookin' good!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks guys! I'd have to say the canopy was not the most fun part for me. It is very tedious and time consuming. I've got to reiterate, if I did not have this new glue, it'd been a disaster as I tend to get glue into places it ought not be, put too much on, etc. I'd hate to think what this would look like trying to do it with CA! And I don't have proper double stick tape around, though I'll probably try that method at some point as well once I find some.

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The Hellcat is finished! Now she needs someone to fight with. Perhaps a Zero? Hmmmm.....

Attached Files:

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A little closer view of the prop assembly

Attached Files:

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Cockpit detail

Attached Files:

10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Rear quarter view

Attached Files:

11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Side view

Attached Files:

12. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

That's the best looking recovery from a near disaster that I've ever seen. Beautiful finished product! Thanks for the build!
  13. barry

barry Active Member

I think that puts you in the Polish league remarkable job.
  14. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Very nice model! Beautiful work!
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Beautiful work, great recovery, excellant detail work, peer judge #3 gives it a 9.7 (only because we know you fudged a spot!). Otherwise a 10! As for adversaries, one Hein Tony coming up, 1 more day if I'm lucky!
  16. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great build! I enjoyed following this one! What a recovery! Gives us regular screw ups some inspiration!
  17. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Simply beautiful build Rick. :) Great job on the recovery.

Now, if your going to pit the 'Cat up against a Zero, then stay out of the turning fight. Go for a head on if you can. Like jousting. The 'Cats armor beats the Zero's. But, the Zero can out-turn the 'Cat every time. ;)

18. Texman

Texman Guest

That did turn out nice. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I don't think I would have tried the reskinning. But I'm glad you did. Well Done.

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I don't know if that is a legal text acronym but I think it applies here.

D@*n Fine Job!:grin:

Now put her in a acrylic display case and lets see the next thread!:twisted:

20. Gil

Gil Active Member

I'm impressed...,