F6F-3 Hellcat, 1:33, Halinski 3-4/2000

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Next up is to fit the wings I already completed while waiting for the replacement kit. One little diversion. I kinda missed it on the first wing tip. I didn't have the common sense to realize that you had to carve the structural bits to get a smooth tip. (Reminds me of the old balsa and tissue days!). Here's one done properly BEFORE covering with the skin! :grin:

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And finally, a finished airframe. The fit of the wings presents some challenges and prep work. Firstly, while constructing the framework it helps to have a piece of cardboard the same size as the large side of the wing spar to test fit and make sure the spar supports are right. Then, when placing the formers within the fuse skins, make sure the slots in the skin align with the spar slots in the frame. Finally, there are fairings to cover small gaps between the wing skins and fuselage, but they are not very big, so a pretty tight fit is needed. On mine, the top skin was a tight fit, but the bottom was not, but I was able to coerce the skin in close enough to cover with the fairing strip. And the strips don't cover all the way to the leading and trailing edges, so you must make sure those areas get snugged up tight to begin with.

Attached Files:

3. barry

barry Active Member

What a beautiful build I must admit to being envious of your building capabilities.

best wishes
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks Barry! One day I hope to apply some of the lessons I'm learning to ship building as well. I may be bothering you for advice in the future!

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rick! Wow! Phoenix rising from the ashes!

Very VERY good job!

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

great! I am so glad you continued :)
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Another Tip

While surfing Kartonbau I notice a build where the guy (No I didn't think to write his name down:cry: ) cut a Hexagon out for the former hole instead of the traditional circle.

I thought wow, this guy builds a great model and has trouble cutting a circle in his formers
    ....THEN POW!.....
    it hit me.......... this allows him to tweak the positioning of the former with his finger as the flat edges grip better and require less pressure to inch it along.

I'm thinking no more circles in the formers for me.......... except for the itty bitty ones I can't put a digit into:grin:

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

John, that's a GREAT idea! I think I will adopt that procedure as well!

Another thing I learned here - for some of the small formers on this model they had printed a little square above the circle (the ones too small to be a finger hole) and I wondered what they were for, as nothing attached there, and there was no symbol that said to cut it out. But as I struggled to hold the former in the right place while trying to reach down into the skin segment it dawned on me that if I cut the little square out, it makes a handy way to grip the former with a pair of tweezers using the 2 holes! It made all the difference.

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Your recommendation is still good, IMHO. It was my goof. If anything about this kit makes it hard, it's maybe that it's a little too easy to make this one crooked if you're not watching yourself. I see that most of the later AH kits have gone down the path of having a more thick card framework in the fuselage (and even more in the the flying surfaces). I'm assuming that this will aid in getting things straight.

10. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Rick, she's turning out great! Beautiful work. :)

11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Modelers Law proposal: No more circles in formers!
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I have an alternative then having to cut out the centres, I just use a common 1/4" hole puncher and make a sort of starburst with it. It gives your fingers plenty of purchase to jiggle the former around, it is a bit quicker than sitting the former down and making 6 individual cuts. And not to stray too far off topic, Rick, I'm happy this worked out for you. The Aircraft looks awesome! Great recovery, good style, smiled thru adversity, overall 9.2.
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The Cat's Got Legs!

Main landing gear complete! This thing's starting to have that down hill from here feeling. Only the prop assembly and canopy left, plus odds and ends.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man I love the detail! When I grow up I want to build the Halinski's just like you guys, this is fantastic work!
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

So .... what are you planning to do with the left overs from the old kit and the new kit?

If your throwing them out, why not create a diorama of a F6F in service or even a crashed F6F?

It's paper anyway... consider it smart recycling ;)
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Those wheels look fantastic, almost like real rubber! Great job!

On another note; I recall a thread, I think by Carl, where he put a slot in the former and used a screwdriver for manipulating it. Another excellent idea.

17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey the LG covers are on the right side........... sorry Carl I had to say it!:oops: :grin:

The wheels do look great, you really have that part down pat!

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

What are you talkin' about? You ARE building 'em! "Tony", Tony"!

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Funny you should ask. I was thinking I'd just offer the book up for the cost of postage to whoever might need it. Lot's of good parts left!

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

@Russell & John,

Thanks on the wheels. These are a lot of work, but something I enjoy. What I've been doing is mounting the laminated parts onto a dremel cutoff wheel mandrel and then spinning at high speed while sanding with paper, emory board, whatever. It takes a while, but it produces good results.